Relate

mahmoudshirin

persian
Hello,

Can I use relate in the following sentence?

I and my friend applied for a job. The job related to the electrical sales engineering.

Thanks,

Last edited:
  • NLmarkSE

Dutch (the Nederlands)
    Me and my friend applied for a job. The job relates to electrical sales engineering.

Related is also OK but just sounds a little odd. They probably didn't change the job's description overnight.

mahmoudshirin

persian
    Thanks a lot for your help. This is an event that occurred 2 years ago; I should write the complete sentences:

Me and my friend applied for a job. The job related to the electrical sales engineering. The employer employed my friend because he had taken some of marketing courses in the university.

NLmarkSE

Dutch (the Nederlands)
    Me and my friend applied for a job. The job related to electrical sales engineering. The employer employed my friend because he had taken some of marketing courses in the university.

You can say "some of the marketing courses" or "some marketing courses"

"in university" sounds more natural.

"related" is indeed fine in this case, if it happened so long ago. ;)

Einstein

UK, English
    "Relates" or "related": it depends when the application was made. If it was made yesterday it concerns a job that is still vacant, so "relates" is correct, but in other contexts "related" might be more logical.

About NLmarkSE's other correction:
    I applied for a job is correct, so also I and my friend applied for a job, although My friend and I is more usual.

Colloquially, "me and my friend" is very common, but not to the point of making "my friend and I" incorrect.

NLmarkSE

Dutch (the Nederlands)
    That makes sense. Thanks. I've never heard it being used that way so it sounds very unnatural to me.

< Previous | Next >