Relation between Arabic music and the spoken words

Alxmrphi

UK English
Recently I've been into Arabic music and the vocal melodic lines are always extremeley meslismatic, and I was wondering does this mean that the way words are spoken sound different to when they are sung in this way?

Would it be much harder for someone to listen and write down what is being said if it's in a typical Arabic song rather than spoken or is it easy to hear what is being said?

I've always wondered about this, but now I have a place to ask:)

• Cristina Moreno

Lebanon-Arabic
    Recently I've been into Arabic music and the vocal melodic lines are always extremeley meslismatic, and I was wondering does this mean that the way words are spoken sound different to when they are sung in this way?
    I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, so could you please ask your question in a different way? (maybe I'll be able to answer you then!)
    Cristina.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I don't think a chant-style of singing is necessarily an impedance to understanding the words - which for the passive listener are just parsed as they are in context.;)

It might make it harder to parse syllable/word boundaries for learners of Arabic who use songs in their learning but I doubt this is true for native speakers.

And certainly, conversely, the melismatic style does not mean that Arabic words are somehow spoken in a similar way to this:eek: necessarily.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Alex_Murphy:the vocal melodic lines are always extremeley meslismatic
    Yes, you are right.A singer is usually apt to elongate vowels as if he were sighing so as to make his/her audience moved and excited.

I was wondering does this mean that the way words are spoken sound different to when they are sung in this way?
    I notice this sort of "extension of words" is much applied to
    the colloquial poems.

Would it be much harder for someone to listen and write down what is being said if it's in a typical Arabic song rather than spoken or is it easy to hear what is being said?
    If you listen and follow up attentively , you can catch on singer's technique and vowels being legthened

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I recently "discovered" the Spanish art of "el cante", and I was amazed of the resemblance between this kind of singing and the Arabic music.
    If you listen to Spanish people speaking, you'll know that the way the language is spoken is very different (melody-wise) from the way it's sung.

Same goes with Arabic songs :) And by the way, not all Arabic songs have the same rythms. There's rap, pop, quick rythm, slow rythm.... just like in many other languages.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I recently "discovered" the Spanish art of "el cante", and I was amazed of the resemblance between this kind of singing and the Arabic music.
    If you listen to Spanish people speaking, you'll know that the way the language is spoken is very different (melody-wise) from the way it's sung.

Same goes with Arabic songs :) And by the way, not all Arabic songs have the same rythms. There's rap, pop, quick rythm, slow rythm.... just like in many other languages.
    That probably has to do with the Golden Age/Andalus history yeah? It's neat that the sort of stuff lives on even into the modern era.

< Previous | Next >