Relative clause

< Previous | Next >

Furkanenglish

Turkish-Turkey
"If hadn't washed that jumper which my mother bought to me on my last birhday in washing machine ,it wouldn't have shrunk." Is this sentence true?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The relative clause is OK, but there are two little mistakes.

"If hadn't washed that jumper which my mother bought to:cross: me on my last birhday in a washing machine, it wouldn't have shrunk
    ."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    What exactly was your difficulty with the relative clause, Furkan? I think you are asking whether the sentence is "correct", but perhaps you have something more specific to ask about..

Furkanenglish

Turkish-Turkey
    if I hadn't washed that jumper IN A WASHING MACHINE which my mothet bought to me.. OR If I hadn't washed that jumper which my mother bought to me IN A WASHING MACHINE..???

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think that with this defining relative clause you should use "that", or the pronoun may even be omitted. I think you are right to be uncomfortable with your placing of "in the washing machine" so very far away from "washed".

There is still a problem though, with your second version. Your mother didn't buy you the washing machine, did she?

You have put a lot of information into that one sentence, but you can remove a few surplus words:

"If hadn't washed that jumper (that) my mother bought me for my birthday in the washing machine, it wouldn't have shrunk."

Or you could say "If hadn't machine-washed that jumper my mother bought for my birthday, it wouldn't have shrunk."

< Previous | Next >