relative clauses, so that

chief22

vietnamese
hi everybody. I have some sentences which I am confused.

1. In Asia, a tropical storm is called "typhoon" which is coming from Chinese.
2. The bus was crowded with passengers, so he had to stand all the way.

are they correct and natural or I should say:

1a. In Asia, a tropical storm is called "typhoon" that comes from Chinese.
2b. The bus was crowded with passengers, so that he had to stand all the way.

thanks

• WildWest

Turkish
    I honestly had a hard time interpretating your examples. For instance, in the first, you have to omit "is". This is what I can say right now as I'm logged in via my mobile phone.

chief22

vietnamese
    I honestly had a hard time interpretating your examples. For instance, in the first, you have to omit "is". This is what I can say right now as I'm logged in via my mobile phone.
    Which "is" do I have to omit in the first sentence?

Thanks

WildWest

Turkish
    Which "is" do I have to omit in the first sentence?

Thanks
    Uh, I now can see what you meant better. I was on my mobile phone—I still am— and interpreted it completely wrong because I had also a limited time to spend here and it is kind of hard to focus on anything with a screen smaller than that of a computer. Well, in that case I don't think there is anything wrong with your suggestions—at least with the first since my time is still limited.

Though, I would write these two below instead if I made it myself:

"In Asia, a tropical storm is called typhoon, a word coming from/that comes from/derived from Chinese"

"In Asia, a tropical storm is called typhoon—a word coming from/that comes from/derived from Chinese"

I don't know why but I myself would use em dash here. However, I suggest you not to rely on what I say too much. I'm a non-native after all.

Editted: I didn't like 2b at all. The meaning of so that is way more different. I find "2" much better.

Last edited:

Dreambliss

Chinese
    There is nothing wrong with the second sentence, but with regard to sentence 1, I would say this way:
    In Asia, a tropical storm is called "typhoon" , (which is) a word that came from Chinese.

changelife

spanish-Madrid
    There is nothing wrong with the second sentence, but with regard to sentence 1, I would say this way:
    In Asia, a tropical storm is called "typhoon" , (which is) a word that came from Chinese.

I think.
    In Asia..........(which is) a word comes from Chinese. sound better.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Afraid not, change: both the comma(s) and the relative pronoun "that" are in order here:

In Asia, a tropical storm is called "typhoon", (which is) a word that comes from Chinese.

Of course, you can dispense with "which is".

GS :)

< Previous | Next >