relative clauses (who fixes/fixed)

boggiee

Turkish
Hi

Elaine comes to Jerry's and has a very bad pain in the neck.

ELAINE: < --- > Right now, I would give that bike to the first person who could make this pain go away.

< --- >

KRAMER: (closing the door) Yeah, you can send that bike over any time.
ELAINE: (after Kramer) What? (to Jerry) What, what is he talking about?
JERRY: < --- > Oh, 'cos you said you'd give the bike to anyone who fixes your neck.

Taken from ''Seinfeld'' S07E013.

I'd like to ask why Jerry used the present simple 'fixes' after Kramer fixed her neck. Isn't it better to say, ''...anyone who fixed your neck.''?

Thanks.

< Quotation reduced to comply with Rule 4. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    No, it's not better. "To anyone who fixes your neck" refers to the future.

Another example: I'll give a chocolate bar to whoever answers this question correctly. (present tense used to refer to the future)

boggiee

Turkish
    But her neck has been fixed and that action is now completed. That means it is now in the past. Also he used 'said' and 'would'.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    you said you'd give the bike to anyone who fixes your neck.

The part in pink expresses the promise she made at the time of the utterance. Whether her neck has been fixed since then is irrelevant.

To go back to my chocolate bar example:

<No one has answered the question yet.>
    Susie: I want to try to answer the question! Mr. Johnson said he'd give a chocolate bar to whoever answers it correctly!

<Brandon has just answered the question correctly.>
    Brandon: Mr. Johnson, can I have my chocolate bar now? You said you'd give it to whoever answers the question correctly.

Loob

English UK
    But her neck has been fixed and that action is now completed. That means it is now in the past. Also he used 'said' and 'would'.
    Hi boggiee
    I would have used "fixed" in the original sentence: you said you'd give the bike to anyone who fixed your neck.
    To me, "fixed" is a better fit, in terms of sequence of tenses, with "said you would."

< Previous | Next >