relative pronoun and noun phrase

LeoBritish

Turkish
The popular assumption that language simply serves to communicate "thoughts" or "ideas" is too simplistic.

The popular assumption that language simply serves to communicate "thoughts" or "ideas": Noun phrase

and that serves here as a relative pronoun which defines the "The popular assumption", isn't it?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "that language simply serves to communicate "thoughts" or "ideas"" is a content clause - it informs us of the contents of the assumption, i.e. what was assumed.

Compare
    His statement/opinion/claim that language simply serves to communicate "thoughts" or "ideas" ...
    He thought/stated/opined/said "that language simply serves to communicate "thoughts" or "ideas" ...

"that"
    is a conjunction.

OED:
    that, conj.
    I.
    a. Introducing a subordinate noun clause, as subject, object, or other element of the principal clause, or as complement of a n. or adj., or in apposition to a n. therein.
    The subord. clause as subject is most commonly placed after the verb and introduced by a preceding it, e.g. ‘it is certain that he was there’ = ‘that he was there, is certain’: see it pron. 4a(b). As object, it usually follows, e.g. ‘I have heard that he was there’.