relaxed/ hopeful

layman9

vietnamese
"Many parents believe that they should begin to teach their children to read when they are scarcely more than toddlers. This
is fine if the child shows a real interest but forcing a child could be counter-productive if she isn't ready. Wise parents will have a
(relaxed/hopeful) attitude and take the lead from their child"
what word is more suitable in this situation? and could you tell me why?
Thank you very much. I appreciate all you comments.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Where did you find these sentences? We require the source of any quoted text.

Please read the dictionary definitions for "relaxed" and "hopeful", and tell us which word you think is more suitable. Both words fit the grammar of the sentence, but only one of them really makes sense in context.

layman9

vietnamese
    Here is the source: http://www.tienganh.com.vn/showthread.php?8028-Recycle-Bin/page12
    My choice is relaxed but the key is hopeful.
    As far as I can see, the author want to advise that parents shouldn't put too much pressure on their children, they should be calm and relaxed when it comes to teaching their children. So my answer is "relaxed attitude".
    As for the other option "hopeful". According to the wordreference dictionary, if you have hopeful attitude, you have hope. In this case, your hope is that your children will become better.
    Because of my limited vocabulary, I cant explain my thought more clearly.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thank you for providing the source. I would choose "relaxed" too. (I see from your link that the key has "cheerful" as the correct answer, not "hopeful".) The text says that forcing the child is not a good idea. The word that most suggests a contrast with "forced", in my opinion, is "relaxed".

< Previous | Next >