release waiver / Waiver release

< Previous | Next >

tati-tatoo

French - France
Context: conditions to subscribe to a specific service. People can send invitations to join the service.
Whole sentence: Please follow the link below to sign your release waiver OR Please enter your full name to electronically sign the release waiver

What does it mean? That you give the permission for publishing something by signing that?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    People can send invitations to join the service.
    1. Do you mean "People can send applications to join the service."?
    2. Could you provide a source for your whole example?
    3. The nature of the "release" is usually explained within the text.

tati-tatoo

French - France
    [/QUOTE]
    1. Do you mean "People can send applications to join the service."?
    2. Could you provide a source for your whole example?
    3. The nature of the "release" is usually explained within the text.
    I understand that it's confusing. Unfortunately, I don't have any full text. It's just a few lines that will be inserted on a homepage I guess . It's about tickets for events and about inviting people to join a team. If it helps, it sais also something about "wave time" ("waive time"?). So I think it has something to do with having a certain delay to send your application or accept the invitation and you have a certain time to retract. So I suppose that people can consult the conditions in this "waiver release".
    I am not sure to understand "wave time" either, but I suppose that it s all linked.
    Does this help a native speaker? (If not I'll have to ask the customer)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The verbs to wave and to waive are unrelated, and should not be confused.

A waiver is explained at waiver - WordReference.com Dictionary of English.

A release waiver, is often (but not always) a clause (or series of clauses) that releases (frees) one party to an agreement from a legal responsibility.
    A Release Agreement (Waiver) is an enforceable promise, [made] in exchange for money or other compensation, not to proceed with a legal claim in exchange for money or other compensation.
    Release or Waiver Agreement FAQ - United Kingdom

The nature of the agreement will ultimately depend on the jurisdiction.
    I understand that it's confusing.
    It is your wording [People can send invitations to join the service] that is confusing. Rather than using the very vague "people" (= random members of the population), you would have been better advised to have used the passive.

Last edited:

tati-tatoo

French - France
    The verbs to wave and to waive are unrelated, and should not be confused.

A waiver is explained at waiver - WordReference.com Dictionary of English.

A release waiver, is often (but not always) a clause (or series of clauses) that releases (frees) one party to an agreement from a legal responsibility.
    Release or Waiver Agreement FAQ - United Kingdom

The nature of the agreement will ultimately depend on the jurisdiction.
    Thank you very much. Since I am translating into French, I often forget to consult the "Dictionary of English section".

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I understand that it's confusing.
    It is your wording [People can send invitations to join the service] that is confusing. Rather than using the very vague "people" (= random members of the population), you would have been better advised to have used the passive or rewritten.

tati-tatoo

French - France
    It is your wording [People can send invitations to join the service] that is confusing. Rather than using the very vague "people" (= random members of the population), you would have been better advised to have used the passive.
    Thanks, but I am not a native speaker... plus I am confused by this "waiver" o_O
    Maybe the author of the English text isn't a native speaker either but in any case, you helped me see clearly now...
    The link you sent me sais: "The activity waiver and release is an agreement between two parties that releases the party providing an activity from liability claims from the individual wishing to participate in the activity. The participant is required to give up all future claims against the other party, so care should be taken to ensure that the participant is fully aware of his or her rights. "

So in substance, if you decide to subscribe you have to sign an agreement saying that you accept not to open a claim if anything goes wrong, right?

< Previous | Next >