relentless vs persistent

Biggi

German - Austria
Hi there,

what's the difference between relentless and persistent. I am a sportsperson and I train relentlessly. Can I also say that I train persistently? Are the synonyms?

Thanks for your help!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    “I train persistently” might be acceptable, in the appropriate context. In what situation would you say this? What are you trying to express about your training?

There are very few true synonyms in English. “Relentless” and “persistent” are very similar, but cannot always be used interchangeably.

Biggi

German - Austria
    “I train persistently” might be acceptable, in the appropriate context. In what situation would you say this? What are you trying to express about your training?

There are very few true synonyms in English. “Relentless” and “persistent” are very similar, but cannot always be used interchangeably.
    determined, and never stopping your attempts to achieve something

kentix

English - U.S.
    If you have ever seen the movie "The Terminator" you can understand the meaning of relentless.

"That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with...it doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear...and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead."

It will just keep trying until it succeeds, no matter what obstacles get in its way. No matter how much it gets damaged.

Persistent is less intense. It just means making constant effort over time. It doesn't have the same implication of sacrificing everything to accomplish a goal.