reliable information

sisse nar

Korean
Hi, everyone.
The following is from "The Hidden Pleasure of Lifes" by Theodore Zeldin.

In the following paragraph, I don't get the underlined.
Is it like that They find it ‘surprisingly difficult’ to obtain reliable information and ‘get cut off (reliable information) from the informal channels’ that could reveal reality to them,?

I don't get what "get cut off from the informal channels' mean here.

‘They can easily get so consumed by the myriad demands (both from inside and outside the
organisation) that they dissipate their attention and fail to accomplish anything substantial.’ They find it ‘surprisingly difficult’ to obtain reliable information and ‘get cut off from the informal channels’ that could reveal reality to them, but they ‘have to be careful about whom they ask for information’ in case they undermine the authority of senior staff.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    This passage refers to CEOs (Chief Executive Officers, the heads of organizations). Zeldin is quoting "What is Leadership?" by Michael Porter and Nitin Nohria. These phrases are in quotation marks because Zeldin didn't write them himself; they were taken from another source. (I hope Zeldin gave Porter and Nohria proper credit.)

In the original, the sentence before this phrase is "Individuals who previously shared information with the CEO freely, even close friends and coworkers, suddenly clam up." Those individuals (people) are an informal channel through which the CEO, before he or she became CEO, obtained information. Now, the CEO no longer has those informal channels. People don't talk to him or her informally any more. They obtain information through formal channels, but that information is often not as reliable as the information that they would have heard informally in the past.

By the way, it's The Hidden Pleasures of Life, not The Hidden Pleasure of Lifes. In some situations the differences could be important.

< Previous | Next >