relieve/unburden/lighten the connection

cointi

Polish
Hello,

The Internet connection in the flat is shared between flatmates. Tom is downloading a huge amount of data, putting a heavy strain on the connection and making it slower for everyone else. I want him to stop some of his downloads so that everyone can use the Internet freely.

A: Tom is clogging up the Internet (connection) again!
B: It's probably his bulky downloads. Tell him to relieve/unburden/lighten the connection right now!

[self-made]

To be honest, I do not like either of the verbs, but that is all I was able to come up with.

• Barque

Tamil
    Tell him to ease off.
    Tell him to go slow.

There are several other ways to say it. You don't need to specify "the connection". It'd be understood.

cointi

Polish
    Thank you, Barque. Would it also work in the following sentence?

With the ever-increasing number of smartphone users, the mobile operators have no choice but to install new masts to ease off the connection (traffic?).

[self-made]

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Tell him to relieve/unburden/lighten the connection right now!
    In technical terms, the only way to have the internet speed increase is for Tom to stop downloading. It is not possible for anyone to "slow down" the internet or "slow down a download". The speed is entirely dependent on your data-rate which is fixed.

The only effective solution is "Tell him to stop/get off right now!"

cointi

Polish
    It is not possible for anyone to "slow down" the internet or "slow down a download".
    As far as I know, some (and probably most) download managers do make it possible to slow down a download, one can even set what the download speed should be. Heck, I've done it myself.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The idea that that was possible is not included in the context.
    The example asks that Tom, not a network manager, "slow down" his own connection. "Tell him to relieve/unburden/lighten the connection right now!"
    This example obviously involves a shared connection - someone is hogging bandwidth - would not slowing it down for one, slow it down for all?

"Tell him to stop hogging the bandwidth [with his downloads]!"

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    With the ever-increasing number of smartphone users, the mobile operators have no choice but to install new masts to ease off the connection (traffic?).
    "Ease off" doesn't work here. I used it in my answer to your original question to mean "Tell him to give it a rest". In this sentence I'd use "to handle the load" or something similar.

cointi

Polish
    The example asks that Tom, not a network manager, "slow down" his own connection. "Tell him to relieve/unburden/lighten the connection right now!"
    By a download manager I meant software that people use to manage their downloads. Tom can slow down his download speed with one click.

This example obviously involves a shared connection - someone is hogging bandwidth - would not slowing it down for one, slow it down for all?
    No. If Tom slows down his downloads, there is more bandwidth for everyone to use = other users' connection is faster.

cointi

Polish
    "Ease off" doesn't work here. I used it in my answer to your original question to mean "Tell him to give it a rest". In this sentence I'd use "to handle the load" or something similar.
    Thank you. Your suggestion is great, but what about

With the ever-increasing number of smartphone users, the mobile operators have no choice but to install new masts to
    ease the bandwidth.

(Thanks to PaulQ for inspiration :))

< Previous | Next >