rely entirely on symbols/signs

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
While many of these signs use words as well as images to communicate (their meanings), there are also many that rely entirely on symbols. Think, for example, of this sign: No U-turn or No Smoking. No language is necessary to know what these symbols mean.

I suspect that symbols in the above sentence refers to signs instead of characters. Is my judge reasonable?
Besides, could I put their meanings in the parentheses after communicate or must I delete it? Thanks.

• timpeac

English (England)
    While many of these signs use words as well as images to communicate (their meanings), there are also many that rely entirely on symbols. Think, for example, of this sign: No U-turn or No Smoking. No language is necessary to know what these symbols mean.

I suspect that symbols in the above sentence refers to signs instead of characters. Is my judge reasonable?
    Besides, could I put their meanings in the parentheses after communicate or must I delete it? Thanks.
    Yes, a symbol is a sign here not a character.

I think it is better with "their meanings" left in.

timpeac

English (England)
    I would omit "their meanings" to avoid spending ages wrestling with the question of whether to write "their meaning" or "their meanings" :)
    That crossed my mind too:D. However I find

While many of these signs use words as well as images to communicate.

too active - signs communicating full stop sounds too interactive for a picture! I don't know why but the addition of "their meaning(s)" reads much more easily for me.

< Previous | Next >