remained longest underwater / remained underwater the longest

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hello, everyone

I am confused about the use of "longest". Should I use it at the beginning or end of a sentence?

Like:

"Who is the person that remained longest underwater?"
or
"Who is the person that remained underwater the longest?"

and

"He is the person that survived longest being adrift at sea"
or
"He is the person that survived being adrift at sea the longest"

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    Grammatically both are permitted; in these particular examples I would put "the longest" at the end. If the ending clause is long, it may make sense to keep "longest" nearer the verb:

"Who is the person that remained longest underwater without breathing apparatus on a Tuesday afternoon in the Red Sea?"

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Grammatically both are permitted; in these particular examples I would put "the longest" at the end. If the ending clause is long, it may make sense to keep "longest" nearer the verb:

"Who is the person that remained longest underwater without breathing apparatus on a Tuesday afternoon in the Red Sea?"
    But are both "Who is the person that remained underwater the longest?" and "He is the person that survived being adrift at sea the longest" correct?

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Yes, although I would use "person who" rather than "person that."
    The Newt, but is it correct to use longest" without "the" in this context?.. I mean : "Who is the person that remained longest underwater?"... Is that really right ? Shouldn't it be ""Who is the person that remained the longest underwater?" or ""Who is the person that remained underwater the longest?"

< Previous | Next >