remedial education

< Previous | Next >

KYC

Mandarin
Hi!
I am learning the word" remedial" and
I have a question about " remedial education".

Does remedial education always apply to students who are difficult in reading, writing like dyslexia?
If a student whose IQ is lower than average and he is incapable , may I say" The student needs to take remedial education?"
Also if a student has poor acdemic performance in writing , reading, but he has no difficulty in reading , writing etc, may I also say"The student need to receive remedial education."?

Your assisitence would be appreciated,thanks!

• ace02nc

English - United States
    You would have to say "The student needs to receive remedial education." Or you could say "The student needs to have/go through remedial education." You can 'take' classes, but you typically don't 'take' an education.

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks for your correction!
    So, do all the circumstances I mentioned above can apply to the word" remedial education"?
    Thanks a lot!

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    "Remedial education" generally refers to classes for students who have poorer skills than they should, usually because their previous schools/classes weren't very good.

"Special education" refers to classes for students who have "special needs" like learning disabilities or mental problems.

JamesM

"Remedial education" generally refers to classes for students who have poorer skills than they should, usually because their previous schools/classes weren't very good.

"Special education" refers to classes for students who have "special needs" like learning disabilities or mental problems.
    I agree. I would not expect to see "remedial education" in relation to students with mental problems or severe learning disabilities. "Special education" is what I would expect.

"Remedial" implies that there is a "remedy" to the problem. If the students' skills are improved they will be able to perform at normal classroom levels. If they are missing basic knowledge or background it can be provided so that they are on a level footing with other students.

< Previous | Next >