Reminder on/Reminder of?

medlock938

English - England
This is perhaps silly, but I have written a letter and am afraid it hasn't made much sense now that I've re-read it. Does it make sense to write "xxxxdeletedxxxx"? Or should I have written "xxxxdeletedxxxx" instead? Or do both sentences make sense?

<<Moderator's note: I am restoring the text (below) of the original post, as people have based their answers on it.>>

Does it make sense to write "She needed a reminder on something"? Or should I have written "She needed a reminder of something" instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Matthew Offner

English- United States
    I would say that it depends.
    For example, "She needed a reminder on how to change a lightbulb" or "She needed a reminder of when her anniversary is"

Unfortunately, this seems to be a case of what "sounds" better.
    Hope this helps.

Biffo

English - England
    Hello medlock938 and welcome to the forum!

It would help if you replaced 'something' with a real thing or event because that might help us to provide the best answer. Meanwhile, I might say "She needed a reminder about something".

It does depend on context.

JamesM

Welcome to the forum, medlock938. :)

It really depends on the context. Can you tell us a little more about the situation. A souvenir is a reminder of something, for example, but a note is a reminder about something.

medlock938

English - England
    The context is - "xxxxdeletedxxxx." "xxxxdeletedxxxx"

Thank you all for your replies :)

<<Restored text: "She needed a reminder on who she was up against." "She needed a reminder on who she was dealing with.">>

Last edited by a moderator:

Biffo

English - England
    The context is - "She needed a reminder on who she was up against." "She needed a reminder on who she was dealing with."

Thank you all for your replies :)
    In those cases I would definitely choose 'of'.

"She needed a reminder of who she was up against."

< Previous | Next >