reminder

renato1

Spain living in the US
Hi I am translating a math game and I am having some trouble translating this sentence. Could anybody help me with it?

In this activity, you and your child will play a game to practice division with and without remainders.

This is what I have done:
En esta actividad usted y su hijo jugarán a un juego para practicar la división con y sin ¿Recordatorios?

I am wondering if there is a math term that would be better to use instead of the literal translation Recordatorio

Thanks, for your help

• Dlyons

English - Ireland
    Hi I am translating a math game and I am having some trouble translating this sentence. Could anybody help me with it?

In this activity, you and your child will play a game to practice division with and without remainders.

This is what I have done:
    En esta actividad usted y su hijo jugarán a un juego para practicar la división con y sin ¿Recordatorios?

I am wondering if there is a math term that would be better to use instead of the literal translation Recordatorio

Thanks, for your help
    division con restos
    I think you're confusing
    reminders and remainders

pecosita

Español de México
    Que te parece:

"En este ejercicio usted y su hijo usaran un juego para practicar la division con y sin restos".

renato1

Spain living in the US
    Hi again,
    Thank you very very much. I understand know... It didn´t make much sense before!! División con y sin resto.

Gracias,

zumac

USA: English & Spanish
    Last week, I hesitated to contribute to this thread because I had a doubt about the translation for the word "remainder."

Here's some information to keep in mind. I checked several sources as follows:

The RAE gives both "residuo" and "resto" for the meaning of remainder of a divide as well as the difference of a subtraction.

Consulting current Mexican grade school math books, they use "residuo" only for the remainder. They use "resto" for the difference of a subtraction.

The WorldReference dictionary defines the following:
    Remainder (English definition) = the result of a subtract operation,
    as well as the the "remainder" of a divide operation.

Remainder (Spanish translation) = resto

Residuo (Spanish definition) = the result of a subtract operation.

Residuo (English tranlation) = (none given)

Resto (Spanish definition) = result of a subtract operation.

Resto (English translation) = remainder

As you can see, there are conflicting as well as erroneous definitions.
    Do you see now why I am confused?

Saludos.

< Previous | Next >