remote control/ remote controller

Discussion in 'English Only' started by min300, Jul 11, 2011.

  1. min300

    min300 Senior Member

    Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    Hi there,
    1. remote control
    2. remote controller
    Are both of these words correct for calling the device we use to change the TV channels? I think remote control is more common.
  2. Aidanriley

    Aidanriley Senior Member

    SD, California
    Here I've only ever heard remote control. Controller by itself can be used to refer to the controllers of gaming systems, e.g. an Xbox controller.
  3. min300

    min300 Senior Member

    Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    Thank you for answering my question:). I actually asked it, because I googled and there were some results for remote controller for the same thing. Might it be correct but not so common?
  4. Egmont Senior Member

    Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I just tried a Web search for "remote controller." Just about all the hits were for game controllers, camera controllers, ways to control a remote computer or something else other than the standard TV thing. The pages that discussed standard TV remote controls seemed to have been written by someone who isn't a native English speaker.

    The TV thing is, in my experience, always a "remote control" or "remote" for short.
  5. scrotgrot Senior Member

    English - English
    Two cents here: I seem to be the only person in the world who calls it a TV changer.
  6. PaulQ

    PaulQ Senior Member

    English - England
    I would go for 'remote' or 'remote control'

    My TV changer is my wife - she usually wants a bigger one... :)
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. min300

    min300 Senior Member

    Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    Thank you. It was really helpful.
  8. min300

    min300 Senior Member

    Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    Thank you Scrotgort and PaulaQ.
  9. George French Senior Member

    English - UK
    Also called the buttons..

  10. ribran

    ribran Senior Member

    Austin, Texas
    English - American
    I call it a remote control or a channel changer.

    Welcome back, Aidanriley! :)
  11. mathman Senior Member

    near boston
    English-American/New England
    In my family, we have always called it the "zapper."

    "Have you seen the zapper?"

    "Can you give me the zapper?"

    "We need to get a new zapper. This one doesn't work."

    However, "remote" or "remote control" would also work for me. "Remote controller" would not.

Share This Page