render _ invisible at the same time they stereotype and mark

< Previous | Next >

mutantette

Kalinga - Sumadel
From Iris Marion Young article, Five Faces of Oppression,

Under powerlessness, does this statement:

"To experience cultural imperialism means to experience how the dominant meanings of a society render the particular perspective of one's own group invisible at the same time as they stereotype one's group and mark it as the other."

That bold part particularly confuses me...

Is the author saying that a particular group, the dominant one, claims their category does not exist, or any others?, that categories do not exist, yet it is contradictory because people stereotype, and it requires recognizing other groups existence to even stereotype, because it has to be compared to something....

I'm confused.

What is the dominant meanings of a society?

My other attempted take is that it is saying that the U.S.A. society, it's cultural meanings, portrays that everyone are equal (invisibility) yet groups still distinguish from one another?

Or is it saying that, to experience cultural imperialism, means that one's group is invisible, in social participation perhaps, but becomes visible when it is time when the dominant group wants to reinforce itself, saying that the invisible group is what the dominant group is not...

Can i ask for examples if anyone understands this..?

I apologize ahead of time if i am being difficult in this...and if i'm not doing this right.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It means that, under cultural imperialism, minority groups are treated as if they do not exist but, at the same time, they are stereotyped.

mutantette

Kalinga - Sumadel
    Okay, that's helpful, thank you!

Perhaps I tend to overthink, especially as I am just learning, my own ignorance hinders me.

So that is all it is saying?

That minority groups are said to not matter, yet they actually matter so much that they are stereotyped to cover up how much they actually do matter?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I cannot agree with your idea of the meaning.

"minority groups are said to not matter,": it is not that they "are said" not to matter -> they actually do not matter; they are ignored, nothing is done for them. The majority create a country for themselves, The majority are not inclusive.

"yet they actually matter so much": No.
    -> they actually do not matter. Minorities are seen as stereotypes.

Please re-read #2.

Imagine the Dalits: nobody takes any notice of them. The laws and rules and subsidies all go to the more important castes but the Dalits are stereotyped as dark and stupid, fitted only for menial tasks.

They are treated as if they are not there and, at the same time, they are stereotyped.
    It is no exaggeration to describe Dalit oppression as the worst human rights problem in the world, measured simply by the sheer numbers of people who are affected.

In India alone, there at least 179,000,000 Dalits (2001 census). Most of them live in conditions unimaginable in the developed world.
    [/quote]http://iheu.org/content/dalit-faq

mutantette

Kalinga - Sumadel
    I appreciate your insights and comment PaulQ. I was not aware of the Dalits. I cannot imagine...

Concerning my last statement,

"That minority groups are said to not matter, yet they actually matter so much that they are stereotyped to cover up how much they actually do matter?"

I'm thinking about it with a critic of capitalist system of economics, those who profit from the labors of others. So i made a connection that it is also saying that those who are are experiencing cultural imperialism, minorities in a developed capitalist society like U.S.A, are invisible but paradoxically stereotyped to keep the majority's own power/privileges...this is my tentative answer from my readings I guess to why they would be stereotyped. That if all parts of a system has their part, all parts do matter, but the reality and travesty is that they are not treated as such. The minorities matter so much because their labor ensures the majority's benefits. Because the majority enjoy their privileges, stereotyping the "others", the minorities, is one way the system of domination sustains itself. I hope I am not oversimplifying matters...

And thank you for the point that it is the reality that minorities in our world do not matter is a fact.

So basically, our world is unjust.

Though this is the reality of our current times and our past, I wonder if doing anything about it is vain or not.....

I maybe digressing somewhat,

so I guess the wording was weird to me, and the statement was just paradoxical.

Thank you again for your insights again!

Regards.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think the attitude that your example expresses is "I don't care about them. They are all the same."

mutantette

Kalinga - Sumadel
    I think the attitude that your example expresses is "I don't care about them. They are all the same."
    I assume if you did have more time you may have expanded more on your reply, so I will not ask.

But I am thankful nonetheless for you taking the time to reply. You know something I do not know.

I am assuming that you are saying my attitude is that...? Perhaps so, I cannot say I am doing anything besides just thinking about it...

My heart aches to think about such things. I am privileged to not experience them first hand and directly, and so I may distract myself from it all...I have no excuses.

Perhaps, I can only ask for yours and others' patience and forgiveness for my ignorance, and perhaps mainly, lack of courage...

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I am assuming that you are saying my attitude is that...?
    :) No, not at all! It is the attitude of "cultural imperialism" as expressed in the example you gave.

I have no idea what you are like, but you seem pleasant enough. :)

mutantette

Kalinga - Sumadel
    :) You are kind.

Thank you for the clarification. I see your point about it's attitude. It is still confusing to me the ideas expressed in this reading, when I want to think about it practically but your replies are helpful in framing my understanding, thank you again.

Regards.

< Previous | Next >