render irrelevant a group of antiproliferation countries

< Previous | Next >

The Lord of Gluttony

Turkish
Hello,

Almost always I see the verb render as follows:

1-) Depression can render a person helpless.
(Example sentence, created by me)

Can we change the position of the adjective "helpless" with the noun "person" as follows?
2-) Depression can render helpless a person.

If your answer is "no", then what would you say about the following sentence? The usage of the verb "render" is identical to my second sentence.

It instructed diplomats to “emphasize that failure to halt the flow” of chemicals and equipment into Syria, Iran and North Korea could render irrelevant a group of antiproliferation countries that organized to stop that flow.
Source: The New York Times Website, an article titled as"With the World Watching, Syria Amassed Nerve Gas", Link

Many thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    Your notion about the correct placement of "helpless" in "render a person helpless" seems good, LOG. People wouldn't ordinarily say "Render helpless a person."

The writer's unusual placement of "irrelevant" in "render irrelevant" was chosen because the following noun phrase is long and complex. It would be hard for a reader to remember to connect "irrelevant" with "render" after reading "a group of anti-proliferation countries that organized to stop that flow". This example does place "irrelevant" after the long phrase: ...could render a group of anti-proliferation countries that organized to stop that flow irrelevant. That version is easy to misread, so the author made a wise choice in using "render irrelevant" before the long phrase.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >