rendere l'idea

< Previous | Next >

acri

Italian
Hello everybody,
How do i translate "rendere l'idea"
-la tua spiegazione mi rende perfettamente l'idea-
My attempt: your explanation gives the idea?
Sounds horrible..

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
  • baldpate

UK, English
    I would use the verb "to convey"

"Your explanation conveys the idea [to me] perfectly."

In a less formal way, you can also use "to get across"

"Your explanation gets the idea across [to me] perfectly."

In both sentences I've shown where you would put "to me" if it is needed to convey the idea of "mi"; I would omit it, however, unless the result would be ambiguous.

Last edited:

Peppe77

Italian
    Che ne pensate di "to make the idea?". I googled it and I found many results.

For example: "Il suo esempio rene bene l'idea" -> "His example makes the idea"?

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Che ne pensate di "to make the idea?". I googled it and I found many results.

For example: "Il suo esempio rene bene l'idea" -> "His example makes the idea"?
    Hi :)!
    This actually sounds a bit odd to me. I agree instead with BP's suggestion 'to convey'
    Cheers ;)

In some contexts, "renders the idea" is also used in English - e.g. 'Talent renders the whole idea of rehearsal meaningless..." ; "The extreme rarity of the lunar atmosphere renders the idea of existence on the moon rather..."
    (I wasn't sure whether "la tua spiegazione mi rende perfettamente l'idea" was the entire sentence or just part of the sentence. Even if it is the entire sentence, "renders the idea" could be used in some contexts if the "idea" which is being referred to has been mentioned in the previous sentence.)

Peppe77

Italian
    In the case the example is going to be mentioned:

"Ti porterò un esempio che, anche se banale, rende bene l'idea"

"I'll make you an example that, even though it is banal, renders the whole idea"?

< Previous | Next >