Renovate

olive6

Hungarian, Hungary
Hello,

I'm never really sure which expression to use if you change a lot of things in a room or on a house. For example you repaint the walls, change the carpets and the furniture or make necessary repairs. Is it renovating or renewing the house? To me both sound a bit weird.

• Copyright

American English
    I like redecorate first, renovate next, and renew not at all. :)

The difference between redecorate and renovate will depend on how much repair you're doing to the structure itself. Paint, wallpaper, furniture will be redecorating. Ripping out the bathroom and knocking down walls will be renovation.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Redecorate is the one I'd use.
    You might like to read this recent thread, Olive, which shows the slight difference between US and UK usage on decorating.

PS. I've just noticed the make necessary repairs at the end of your question. In that case I'd use renovate and redecorate.

Last edited:

olive6

Hungarian, Hungary
    Oh! Really! Funnily enough, our big Hungarian dictionary doesn't even mention this word.
    Thank you very much! Also for the link. :)

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    To me, redecorate means repaint, change curtains, furniture, lighting;
    renovate/remodel involves more changes: changing surfaces, moving walls, making some structural changes etc...

I redecorated my bathroom = I repainted the walls, changed the shower curtains, towels and soap dispenser

I renovated/remodeled my bathroom = I changed tiles, replaced sink and toilet + repainted the walls etc...

< Previous | Next >