rent - in abeyance

jorgecanta47

Spain, native of Spanish
hello!
I would like to know why in an already solved antonyms GRE exercise the word "made whole" appears as an antonym of the word "rent".

I guess "rent" means hire.
Made whole" means reimbursed for a previous cost.

Then I do not understand why "rent" is opposite in meaning to "made whole".

Thank you.

• Old Novice

USA, English
    This is a pretty obscure pair. "Made whole" means reimbursed for a previous cost, or brought up to date financially. Rent "in abeyance" would be rent not paid. So my best guess is that the idea that they could be antonyms stems from the thought that making the landlord whole on the rent ends its status as being in abeyance.

But again, this is anything but obvious, to my ear. Maybe someone else can think of something more logical.

jorgecanta47

Spain, native of Spanish
    sorry, i made a mistake. You can see the previous message which has already been modified by me. What i do not know is why "rent" and "made whole" are antonyms.
    rent = hire?
    made whole = reimburse for a previous cost?

Then I still do not know why they are antonyms.
    thanks anyways.

Lis48

English - British
    "Rent" is the opposite of "made whole" using the old meaning of to "rent" as to "tear apart" but "rent in abeyance", as Old Novice says, can only refer to money held back with the opposite being "rent made whole".
    I don´t see how "rent in abeyance" can be an antonym of "made whole" with no reference to rent.

< Previous | Next >