Repel any challenge

laurika

Slovakian
hi all of you,
I need some help with english text that should be translated into italian. Can anyone help me, please?
... One (strategy), applied mainly in the Negev, was the establishment of a maximum presence in vacant or semi-vacant parts of the country so as to repel any challenge to Israeli rule in those areas.

I would be very very happy if someone helped me
Thank you, L.

• Silvia

Italian
    Hi laurika,

I need to understand before translating anything :)

First of all, do native English speakers understand the sentence above?

Focalist

European Union, English
    silviap said:
    do native English speakers understand the sentence above?
    Yes.

There were vacant or semi-vacant areas of Israel.
    There was a possibility non-Israelis would challenge Israel's right to rule these areas.
    To repel any such challenges the Israeli army established a maximum presence in these areas.
    This was one strategy used.
    It was applied mainly in the Negev.

Hope that helps.

F

DDT

Italy - Italian
    laurika said:
    hi all of you,
    I need some help with english text that should be translated into italian. Can anyone help me, please?
    ... One (strategy), applied mainly in the Negev, was the establishment of a maximum presence in vacant or semi-vacant parts of the country so as to repel any challenge to Israeli rule in those areas.

I would be very very happy if someone helped me
    Thank you, L.

"Una (strategia), applicata principalmente nel Negev, fu l'istituzione di una presenza massiva in aree non occupate o parzialmente occupate del paese (or "della nazione", choose what you like best!), al fine di respingere ogni tentativo di contrastare il controllo israeliano di tali aree"

DDT

DDT

Italy - Italian
    Focalist said:
    contrastare (oppose) o contestare (dispute, question, challenge)?

F

You're right, Focalist, "to challenge" literally means "contestare/mettere in dubbio", but I guessed that "contrastare" could make (even) more sense, in this specific case.

DDT

laurika

Slovakian
    Focalist said:
    Yes.

There were vacant or semi-vacant areas of Israel.
    There was a possibility non-Israelis would challenge Israel's right to rule these areas.
    To repel any such challenges the Israeli army established a maximum presence in these areas.
    This was one strategy used.
    It was applied mainly in the Negev.

Hope that helps.

F

Ehi, that is exactly what the article is talking about.
    Thank you very much, Focalist, I would say that the text is quite hard, not only beacuse of vocabulary used, but also because of structure of phrases.
    bye, Laurika

laurika

Slovakian
    DDT said:
    "Una (strategia), applicata principalmente nel Negev, fu l'istituzione di una presenza massiva in aree non occupate o parzialmente occupate del paese (or "della nazione", choose what you like best!), al fine di respingere ogni tentativo di contrastare il controllo israeliano di tali aree"

DDT
    hi, thanks DDT, you really helped me a lot!!! I was not able to translate it, my italian is not very good. Thank you once again! ;)
    bye, L.