Repetir errores de los padres

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Atlam, Sep 30, 2013.

  1. Atlam Member

    Tengo una duda en una traducción. ¿Cómo se traduciría lo siguiente?:

    -Los hijos repiten los mismos errores de sus padres.

    No encuentro ninguna palabra que me parezca apropiada para el plural de -hijos-. ¿Hay alguna palabra para esto así como la hay para hermanos (siblings)?
  2. Socal3661 Senior Member

    Madrid, España
    Los hijos = children

    Children repeat the same mistakes of their parents.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. Atlam Member

    Tenía pensado -children- pero no sé si aplica a jovenes o adultos. Da a entender que se trata de niños solamente.
  4. juan2937 Banned

    Other possibility is :

    Children repeat their parents' mistakes
  5. JennyTW Senior Member

    Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    It should be "as their parents" and I prefer "Children make the same mistakes as their parents", or Juan's suggestion "Children repeat their parents' mistakes".
  6. SevenDays Senior Member

    Yes, but Atlam wonders whether "children" might be taken in its literal meaning: niños (though "children" might be nonetheless understood to mean grown ups). In that case, we might have to find alternatives, to signify "grown ups;" perhaps:
    sons and daughters make the same...
    people repeat the mistakes of their parents
    we make the same mistakes of our parents

    Though it's debatable if these are better than "children."
    There may be better ways of expressing the sense of "not kids"
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. JennyTW Senior Member

    Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    it should be "people repeat their parents' mistakes" and "we make the same mistakes AS our parents".
  8. Atlam Member

    Well, I think the word -hijos- has no general translation to english (It should) Thanks to all of you.
  9. duvija

    duvija Senior Member

    Spanish - Uruguay
    Children is for all, even 50 year olds. You may say ' young children' if you want to specify.
  10. JennyTW Senior Member

    Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    I agree with you, but you don't have to stop at 50!

    There is, however, a more specific word, but as in the case of "siblings", it sounds a bit "technical" and wouldn't necessarily be used in normal speech. "Offspring".

Share This Page