replacing/taking out "because"

< Previous | Next >

jj88

English, US
Hi,
I had a question to ask, wanted to know 1) if this is grammatically correct and 2) the reason behind why it is correct

thanks!

sentence 1
However, I am able to cope with the pain because I know that my muscles will heal and grow tougher

replacing "because I know" with "knowing"
sentence 2
However, I am able to cope with the pain, knowing that my muscles will heal and grow tougher

can I do that?

• Brioche

Australia English
    It would be better to write:
    Knowing that my muscles will heal and grow tougher, I am able to cope with the pain.

The way you have written it, people may think that the pain knows, rather than you know.

Moogey

USA English
    Brioche said:
    It would be better to write:
    Knowing that my muscles will heal and grow tougher, I am able to cope with the pain.

The way you have written it, people may think that the pain knows, rather than you know.
    Well this would be ideal in writing, but one would rarely say this colloquially I think.

I would say the 2nd sentence but make sure there's a pause after where the commas should be. In writing, the commas would be evident anyway.

On the other hand, I don't know if they're gramatically correct, however it makes perfect sense to me and I've heard both before.

-M

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Both your sentences are grammatically correct-- I wouldn't confuse the antecedent for "knowing," but on the other hand I agree with Brioche that your second sentence sounds a little off.

I would either go with Brioche's improvement (especially in writing) or use your first sentence. In writing, your first sentence would also work better with the subordinate clause coming first.

< Previous | Next >