Report me as I am - a superannuated don.

< Previous | Next >

loviii

Russian
Greetings!

Quirk, p.1201:
(1) Report me as I am - a superannuated don.

What does "to report ... as ..." mean?

Can I omit "as"?:
(2) Report me I am - a superannuated don.

Thanks!

Upd.:
The full paragraph, if need be:
Although as is classed as a preposition in the above pattern, it in some ways resembles the conjunction as which introduces clauses of comparison (cf 15.71). Consider the following curious examples, in which as introduces on the one hand a clause and on the other hand a noun phrase in an appositional relation to the clause:
He described her as he found her, a liar.

Last edited:
  • heypresto

English - England
    I don't know what 'report' means here, but it appears to be saying something like 'When you report me, say I'm a superannuated don'.

No idea what it means, :confused: , but no, you can't omit 'as'.

loviii

Russian
    I don't know what 'report' means here, but it appears to be saying something like 'When you report me, say I'm a superannuated don'.

No idea what it means, :confused: , but no, you can't omit 'as'.
    Report me correctly. Report me as (being) what I am. Don't report me as (being) something else.

The sentence needs "as".
    I added the full paragraph, if need be:
    Although as is classed as a preposition in the above pattern, it in some ways resembles the conjunction as which introduces clauses of comparison (cf 15.71). Consider the following curious examples, in which as introduces on the one hand a clause and on the other hand a noun phrase in an appositional relation to the clause:
    He described her as he found her, a liar.
    Thanks!

loviii

Russian
    Report me correctly. Report me as (being) what I am. Don't report me as (being) something else.
    I couldn't fully understand your explanation.

Is the next one a right interpretation of the sentence?:
    When reporting me, relate to me as to a superannuated don, because I am a superannuated don.

Thanks!

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    When reporting me, relate to me as to a superannuated don, because I am a superannuated don.
    No. "Report me" doesn't mean relate to me. It means describe me. The context is presumably that you are introducing me to an audience. I want you to tell the audience that I am a superannuated don.

< Previous | Next >