represent

< Previous | Next >
  • Prospective International said:
    The world parliament would represent need not necessarily, however, consist of representatives.

I can't understand the way this sentence is built! How can I translate the core sentence "represent need"

Thanks
    Bonjour,

Is the subject of the sentence 'the world parliament' or 'parliament' or 'the world' please? I think there is a need to tweak a comma here and there.

slewis

UK (English)
    That's not a well written sentence, in English. It may be missing some punctuation at least. Possibly more.

Need in this context would seem to be besoin.

I could guess at the whole sentence, but can you check it, it really sounds bad?

Steve

jimreilly

American English
    Prospective International said:
    The world parliament would represent need not necessarily, however, consist of representatives.

I can't understand the way this sentence is built! How can I translate the core sentence "represent need"

Thanks
    No wonder you don't understand it, what a terrible sentence! It really makes little sense as written.

Does it mean "The world parliament need not, necessarily, consist of representatives" with the addition of unsuccessfully added material?

Or is there something omitted that would change the meaning? Or just something we cannot discern stated very badly? I vote for this last option!

slewis

UK (English)
    I re-read it, and can see another possible interpretation (with different punctuation) in which need would not be besoin. So I should provisionally retract that suggestion. It really is just a bad sentence!

Steve

zam

England -french (mother tongue) & english
    Prospective International said:

Thanks
    An unwieldy sentence if ever there was one...

Need not, a few possible translations (not all applicable to this wonky sentence !):

- ne signifie pas forcèment/obligatoirement
    - n'est pas forcèment synonyme de...
    - ne condamne pas forcèment à
    - ne requiert pas forcèment
    or:
    - il n'est pas nécessaire de
    - nul besoin de
    - s'abstenir

However, that's the theory (I hasten to add !)... but this sentence is a different kettle of fish altogether, worthy of New Labour Newspeak and should have been given pride of place in Francis Wheen's book 'How mumbo-jumbo conquered the world'. As one UK journo once wrote:
    'A new language of relentless optimism and vacuousness is sucking the meaning out of English'. Quite !
    Anyhow, I guess somebody's got to do it so I'll take the plunge:

The world parliament would represent need not necessarily, however, consist of representatives

= (????) Le parlement (à L'ONU ?) au niveau mondial, chargé de représenter les gouvernements nationaux, ne serait pas nécessairement composé de députés/délégués/représentants.

(P.S = criticism welcome but go easy on me !)

calembourde

New Zealand, English
    The only way I can think of that this sentence would make sense as written would be if the subject is 'the world parliament would represent' (that is, the world that the parliament would represent.) It seems rather strange to say that since you could just say, 'the world' unless there is another world somewhere which parliament wouldn't represent... but I suppose it is for emphasis of the contrast between being represented and being a representative. So perhaps it is saying, in a rather clumsy way, that the people being represented by the parliament are not all representatives.

If that is the intended meaning, then I think the translation would be:

Le monde que le parlement représenterait ne serait pas nécessairement composé de représentants.

Thanks a lot dear friends!

Sorry for the delay, I spent my day working outside, rushing under the snow.

Here comes part of the paragraph from where the sentence comes:

"Perhaps one day, were it to succeed in its objective, it is not inconceivable that ISPO might eventually become part of the UN organisation itself (UN-ISPO) constituting the first democratic world parliament. Were the model of civil society being invited to adopt SP to be formalised and used to provide direct, democratic civil society representation at the UN, the necessary justification for nation states to relinquish some of their sovereignty to the UN would then exist. The world parliament UN-ISPO would represent need not necessarily, however, consist of representatives. For with modern technology, it is not inconceivable that many, if not all, people of the world could have an electronic vote and, for those without such technology, other methods could be devised."

In this text, ISPO represents International Simultaneous Policy Organisation.

Now, seeing your comments, I think that I can understand the whole sentence which is in fact made of two pieces:
    a) Were the model....to the UN would then exist.
    b) The world parliament UN-ISPO would represent need not necessarily, however, consist of representatives.

The fact is that a coma is missing after "represent", dividing the sentence in one subject -the world parliament UN-ISPO would represent- and the fact that this parliament would not need to consist of representatives...

Final version would then turn in French to something like:
    Le parlement mondial que l'UN-ISPO représenterait, n'aurait pas forcément besoin d'être constitué de représentant.

What do you think of this?

Thanks a lot for your kind follow-up.

Yours,
    Georges

< Previous | Next >