represents a high academic level

westwind

Chinese
"Although it is a teaching museum, Sackler museum at Peking University represents a high academic level of archaeology in China," said Zhang. "That's why we chose the museum to display the relics for the first time." (http://english.pku.edu.cn/News_Events/News/Media/10381.htm

I feel this expression is kind of Chinglish. To a Chinese, if someone reperesents a high or the highese academic level of archaeology, he or she is a leading archaeologist. If an paper represents a high level of archaeology, this paper is of high quality. I'd like to know if the expression really has such a meaning? Thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I would not see it as Chingish and understand what Zhang is saying but I would prefer either:

1. "Sackler museum at Peking University represents a high academic level in [the study/field of] archaeology in China,"
    or
    2. "Sackler museum at Peking University represents the high academic level of archaeology in China," (I like this better.)

Although the alternatives have a slightly different nuance, we can assume that Zhang is simply praising the museum and that his words are general rather than precise.

(There are several other mistakes on the linked page.)

westwind

Chinese
    I would not see it as Chingish and understand what Zhang is saying but I would prefer either:

1. "Sackler museum at Peking University represents a high academic level in [the study/field of] archaeology in China,"
    or
    2. "Sackler museum at Peking University represents the high academic level of archaeology in China," (I like this better.)

Although the alternatives have a slightly different nuance, we can assume that Zhang is simply praising the museum and that his words are general rather than precise.

(There are several other mistakes on the linked page.)
    Thank you, PaulQ. Can archeological papers or archaeologists reperesent the high academic level of archaeology in China?

< Previous | Next >