Republicans and football

smileeok

China, Chinese
Hi all, I am watching the latest Democratic hopeful debate, in which there is a dialog I cannot understand.

SPRADLING: Senator, thank you.
Senator Obama, I don't know if your ears were ringing during the first debate. I asked a question about you earlier, and am interested to hear your response to what the Republican candidates for president laid out in arguments for you not being elected president.
I revved up the Republican attack machine. Please respond.
OBAMA: Well, you know, I have to admit that I was going back and forth between the Republicans and football.

What did Obama mean? And why is it funny (since people were laughing)?
Sorry for Republicans here.

Thanks.

• ewie

English English
    Maybe that during the interval his attention was divided between the Republican debate (on one tv screen) and a game of football (on another tv screen).

Black Sheep

England, English
    Hi all, I am watching the latest Democratic hopeful debate, in which there is a dialog I cannot understand.

SPRADLING: Senator, thank you.
    Senator Obama, I don't know if your ears were ringing during the first debate. I asked a question about you earlier, and am interested to hear your response to what the Republican candidates for president laid out in arguments for you not being elected president.
    I revved up the Republican attack machine. Please respond.
    OBAMA: Well, you know, I have to admit that I was going back and forth between the Republicans and football.

What did Obama mean? And why is it funny (since people were laughing)?
    Sorry for Republicans here.

Thanks.
    I don't know for sure but it is likely that Obama is passionate about football as well as politics - so he was paying attention to both, not just to his political career.

ewie

English English
    The reason the audience found it funny, of course, is that he considers what the Republicans are saying and football equally engaging/interesting, so diminishing the importance of the Republicans.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    That is an excellent debater's or candidate's statement, because it accomplishes many things all at once:

1) It trivializes the Republican debate, and thereby the candidates, as of equal interest
    with football games.
    2) It allows the speaker to plead partial ignorance, and thus avoid giving a direct answer to the question, or at least gaining extra time to prepare an answer.
    3) It shows the speaker to be "an ordinary man", as interested in championship football as the average voter.
    4) It's funny! That wins laughter and a friendly attitude from spectators.

Grefsen

English - United States
    That is an excellent debater's or candidate's statement, because it accomplishes many things all at once:

1) It trivializes the Republican debate, and thereby the candidates, as of equal interest
    with football games.
    2) It allows the speaker to plead partial ignorance, and thus avoid giving a direct answer to the question, or at least gaining extra time to prepare an answer.
    3) It shows the speaker to be "an ordinary man", as interested in championship football as the average voter.
    4) It's funny! That wins laughter and a friendly attitude from spectators.
    Excellent post cuchuflete! :thumbsup: I watched the Democratic debate last night and thought that was one of the best lines of the night. :D

< Previous | Next >