Requirement on / of / for

Hello, I would like to ask the native speakers about the correct usage of the term "requirement" in connection with following prepositions in certain context.

Example:

"We do not support the requirement on the obligatory elaboration of the tables."

or

"We do not support the requirement of the obligatory elaboration of the tables."

or

"We do not support the requirement for the obligatory elaboration of the tables."

...said in other words "If someone required the obligatory elaboration of the tables, we would be against"

I would prefer the 1st case, I assume the last one is incorrect in this sense, but it'd be fine to have a clarification.

-------------

I can imagine different contexts where requirement(s) with different prepositions can appear, like

The requirements of the university on the applicants for (their) admission

--> The university laid down certain requirements, i. e. they are the requirements of the university

--> They apply to the applicants, i. e. they are the requirements (imposed) on them

--> They are to be fulfilled in order to be accepted, i. e. for admission

-------------

Requirement on...
- could you give me examples of the precise context and meaning where it would be appropriate to use this collocation?
- if the elaboration of the tables is required (that is mandatory), can I say that there is a requirement on the elaboration of the tables? or would this mean that the elaboration of the tables is subject to certain requirement?

Thank you very much for any remarks regarding this issue.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, I would like to ask the native speakers about the correct usage of the term "requirement" in connection with following prepositions in certain context.

Example:

"We do not support the requirement on the obligatory elaboration of the tables." I think I'd use "for" here.

or

"We do not support the requirement of the obligatory elaboration of the tables." I would use this one only if the obligatory elaboration of the tables required me to do something. That seems unlikely.

or

"We do not support the requirement for the obligatory elaboration of the tables." This sounds like the natural choice in any likely context.

...said in other words "If someone required the obligatory elaboration of the tables, we would be against" Once again, "for" sounds right.

I would prefer the 1st case, I assume the last one is incorrect in this sense, but it'd be fine to have a clarification.

-------------

I can imagine different contexts where requirement(s) with different prepositions can appear, like

The requirements of the university on the applicants for (their) admission The university's requirements for admission. I can't imagine that they would need to use any statement about the applicants because "admission requirements" implies requirements that applicants must comply with.

--> The university laid down certain requirements, i. e. they are the requirements of the university This sounds right.

--> They apply to the applicants, i. e. they are the requirements (imposed) on them This shouldn't be necessary when we are talking about "requirements for admission".

--> They are to be fulfilled in order to be accepted, i. e. for admission Sounds good to me.

-------------

Requirement on...
    - could you give me examples of the precise context and meaning where it would be appropriate to use this collocation?
    - if the elaboration of the tables is required (that is mandatory), can I say that there is a requirement on the elaboration of the tables? or would this mean that the elaboration of the tables is subject to certain requirement? By my understanding, "for" should work here.

Thank you very much for any remarks regarding this issue.
    You are quite welcome.

whynottail

Chinese
    I think you can say-

the requirement of sonebody/something (with authority) for somethng (a purpose), as in-

In my judgment and for the reasons which I have given, the challenge based upon the implication of a requirement of natural justice must fail.

And I think you can also say-

the requirement of something (one of the things that is required) for something, as in-

Although the requirement of intervention in the nasal oxygen group was halved, the most extreme example of hypoxia occurred in this group and led to the only termination of the procedure.

If the requirement were tantamount to a requirement of establishment, there would be an unjustifiable restriction on the freedom of those involved in the operation and management of the vessels to provide those services. 85.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I don't understand the sentences about obligatory elaboration of tables, so I thought I would summarise what I think rather than respond directly:

... requirement on <AAAA>
    AAAA is a person or something that is required to do something.

... requirement of <AAAA>
    AAAA is a person or something that has required someone to do something.

... requirement for <AAAA>
    AAAA is something that is required.

whynottail

Chinese
    I have obtained more examples about using "requirement for/of" from dictionaries for sharing-

Latin is no longer a requirement for entry to university.
    He has filled all requirements for promotion.
    A good degree is a minimum requirement for many jobs.

The requirements of his work affected his health.
    Food is a requirement of life.
    Students who fail to meet the requirements (of the course) will fail.

whynottail

Chinese
    I believe in "requirement for something (needed)" requirement actually means demand, as in-

... an urgent requirement for time, facilities, resources, or action

When we say "requirement for something (a purpose/goal)", the requirement is something that has to be obtained/achieved for the purpose.

Thanks everyone! So it seems that the only correct option in my case would be

"We do not support the requirement for the obligatory elaboration of the tables."

although it probably isn't understandable for certain native speakers...The obligatory elaboration of certain correlation tables is the "requirement". We may want either the facultative (we may) or the obligatory (we must) elaboration of the tables. I just wanted to say that we are against the obligatory elaboration.

I was not sure whether I may use "the (legal) requirement for the obligatory elaboration" in the sense that "the obligatory elaboration is required (by law)"; I'd imagine that e.g. "literacy is the requirement for the obligatory elaboration" is correct, that is, in order to be able to fulfill the obligatory elaboration, you must be literate. I am sorry if I was too confusing but your replies definitely helped me.

whynottail

Chinese
    I am really not sure if I understand your situation. I hope the following may help-

Regarding "We do not support the requirement for the obligatory elaboration of the tables." I think I would say-

We do not support obligatory elaboration.
    We are against obligatory elaboration.
    We do not support the requirement of obligatory elaboration.

Regarding "the (legal) requirement for the obligatory elaboration", I would say-

The obligatory elaboration is a legal requirement.

Regarding "literacy is the requirement for the obligatory elaboration" , I would say-

Literacy is essential for the obligatory elaboration.
    Literacy is required for the obligatory elaboration.