rescue dog

MarleneD

English
In American English, if one acquires a dog (or other animal) from the SPA (etc), a lost or abused dog, in short one not purchased from a pet store or a breeder, the dog is called a "rescue dog." This is not un chien de sauvetage: The 'rescue' in English is what the people have done for an animal that may have been destroyedI. It is sometimes used as an adjective (a rescue dog/horse) but has become common to use "rescue" simply as a noun. "My dog is a rescue." Is there an equivalent in French?

• Yendred

Français - France
    Un chien recueilli/adopté.
    See for instance [...] here.

But logically, in English, wouldn't it be a rescued dog? And how do you translate chien de sauvetage?

Last edited:

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Logically, yes, Yendred, but no one says that unless you are reporting an actual rescue: The dog was pulled out of the water before drowning. The rescued animal appeared fine once he dried out and caught his breath.

Moderator note to MarleneD: Please always search for your answer before starting a new discussion. Our Forum already has discussed this term: rescue dog.

Last edited:

MarleneD

English
    Logically, yes, Yendred, but no one says that unless you are reporting an actual rescue: The dog was pulled out of the water before drowning. The rescued animal appeared fine once he dried out and caught his breath.

Moderator note to MarleneD: Please always search for your answer before starting a new discussion. Our Forum already has discussed this term: rescue dog.
    Note to Moderator: Thanks for this and for the link.. This was my first post, I've just become nmember. I had looked through the Forum with sauvetage and came up with nothing.

MarleneD

English
    Un chien recueilli/adopté.
    See for instance [...] here.

But logically, in English, wouldn't it be a rescued dog? And how do you translate chien de sauvetage?
    Ironically, un chien de sauvetage would be "a rescue dog"--obviously never "a rescued dog" or "a rescue." The latter shorthand for an adopted (etc.) dog is now commonplace. Even as a native speaker, I find "He is a rescue" strange and rather self-serving.

< Previous | Next >