Research expertise for/at

< Previous | Next >

lallitapz

Italy, Italian
Hello my dear friends!
Let's see if you can help me deal with this problem concerning the use of prepositions.
The context in which I found the following sentence is application form and my problem is whether to use for or at

"I want to acquire the know-how that will allow me to be a competitive professional in the field, being for example at the chief of a think tank or of the research expertise for/at the United Nations or NATO."

By the way, if you find any other mistake, please let me know
Thank you so much for your help :)

have a nice day! ;)

• Aidanriley

English
    "I want to acquire the know-how that will allow me to be a competitive professional in the field, for example, (being the chief)(being at the head) of a think tank or of the research expertise for/at the United Nations or NATO."

"Being at the chief of" sounds quite weird to me, but perhaps it is just an expression that isn't used where I'm from. The prepositions in this case are both correct, and different. "For" would suggest that a third party such as a hired company is involved and perhaps conducts the research for the United Nations, whereas "at" would mean that the research is conducted within the United Nations (and therefore would mean that you actually work for them).

Big Hoser

English-Français
    I would re-write the sentence slightly.
    Also, I think "expertise" might be misused here.

I offer:
    "I want to acquire the know-how that will allow me to be a competitive professional in the field; heading a think tank, or being a research expert with the United Nations or NATO, for example."

< Previous | Next >