1. Studiolair New Member

English - Canada
    Bonjour,

j'aimerais dire une phrase en français:

"...a latent colonialists desire to make the other resemble them (the french)."

j'ai:

"un désir latent de colonialiste de faire se ressembler l'autre."

Am I close?

2. Lezert

Lezert Senior Member

Midi-Pyrénées
    french, France
    I would say:
    un désir colonialiste latent ( de faire ) que les autres leur ressemblent

3. Sisal Senior Member

Toulouse
    France French
    Maybe:
    "un désir latent colonialiste de faire que l'autre leur ressemble"
    Right, Lezert, désir colonialiste latent is far better
    However, "les autres leur ressembleNT

4. Studiolair New Member

English - Canada
    merci, c'est parfait!

5. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    English/French/Slovak
    "...a latent colonialists desire to make the other resemble them (the french)."

le désir d'un colonialiste latent que l'autre (les autres) leur ressemble (ressemblent)
    OR
    le désir d'un colonialiste latent de rendre l'autre semblable à eux

I'm not sure whether 'the other' is singular or plural.

6. Lezert

Lezert Senior Member

Midi-Pyrénées
    french, France
    ce ne peut pas être "d'un colonialiste latent" (ce n'est pas le colonialiste qui est latent, c'est le désir ) . Ce pourrait éventuellement être
    désir colonialiste latent ( le désir est colonialiste et latent )
    désir de colonialisme latent ( le désir de colonialisme est latent )
    désir latent de colonialisme ( le désir de colonialisme est latent )

7. Shang Qin Li

Shang Qin Li Senior Member

French Alps
    UK born Live in France English
    I think it should be "colonialists' " and not colonialists. In which case here is what I suggest:
    "un désir latent chez les colonialistes de rendre les autres semblables à eux-mêmes"

8. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    English/French/Slovak
    a latent colonialist's desire = le désir d'un colonialiste latent

a colonialist's latent desire = le désir latent d'un colonialiste

Voilà mon interprétation d'après l'ordre des mots. Il s'agit peut-être d'un colonialiste qui s'ignore.

9. Shang Qin Li

French Alps
    Dear Viera
    :confused:
    "le désir d'un colonialiste latent " sounds real weird to me. Can a person be "latente", in the sense "qui s'ignore" ? "un écrivain latent" ? "un peintre latent" ? "Latent" suggests something "dormant", something that exists but hasn't yet been developed or expressed. However, we do say "a dormant agent" when referring to an intel agent/ field officer (a spy), who has been ordered to stay put (eg:stop going in the field for a while) until "awaken" (Ref: John LeCarré's book:'The spy who came in from the Cold'). ['un agent dormant' in French].
    The original sentence says "colonialists" (plural since it's got an 's' at the end). That's why I added ['] to clearly show it was the saxon genitive thereby associating 'latent' to 'desire', and not to the colonialists. Now it could be a typo and it should then read "colonialist's"
    The original sentence is not perfectly clear. The word order, too, is strange.

10. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    English/French/Slovak
    Only the wider context can tell, but I imagined this was not necessarily about colonialism per se, but perhaps about current social problems, and that 'latent colonialist' was being used as an image of present attitudes to immigrants. We may have the same attitude as in colonial times, but without realizing it.

"The original sentence says "colonialists" (plural since it's got an 's' at the end). That's why I added ['] to clearly show it was the saxon genitive thereby associating 'latent' to 'desire', and not to the colonialists. Now it could be a typo and it should then read "colonialist's" "

If the genitive is associating anything, surely it must be associating the word in the genitive (colonialist) with another word, and not two other words together.

But I may very well be barking up the wrong tree.

11. Shang Qin Li

French Alps
    Dear Viera
    Why not ? If colonialist is a genitive, then it is associated with desire (which is a noun). and that noun is in turn qualified by "latent" (which is an adjective). Nothing wrong with that. In other words "the latent desire of colonialists..." "My dad's old car will soon be a write off" is different from "my old dad's car will soon be a write off". But as you said, a wider context would be a great help. Without it it's just guess-work
    It could also be an image... but "latent colonialists" sounds really weird to me.