reside in a remote location?

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
Hi,

If I were writing about a down-to-earth, elderly person, would it sound stilted to write "He resides in a remote location"?

I'd appreciate your help.

• Copyright

American English
    A bit stilted, yes. How about "He lives in a remote location." But then you have to go on and describe his living situation pretty quickly.

Copyright

American English
    He lives deep in the countryside in place that even foraging cows seldom visit.

No to "remote location." Remember your description: down-to-earth.

Copyright

American English
    Obviously I think there is. Down-to-earth people are plain-speaking people who "tell it like it is," using simple language to get their message across in few words; "remote location" doesn't tell us much of anything and is unlikely to be used by the character. But I haven't seen the rest of the story and if you want to use it – as you apparently do – please go ahead.

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    Obviously I think there is. Down-to-earth people are plain-speaking people who "tell it like it is," using simple language to get their message across in few words; "remote location" doesn't tell us much of anything and is unlikely to be used by the character. But I haven't seen the rest of the story and if you want to use it – as you apparently do – please go ahead.
    If I were just describing the character rather than having the character say those words, would it sound stilted? Actually, I myself object to "reside in a remote location," but an Australian co-worker used it. I suspect he's wrong.

Copyright

American English
    If I were just describing the character rather than having the character say those words, would it sound stilted? Actually, I myself object to "reside in a remote location," but an Australian co-worker used it. I suspect he's wrong.
    I think we've already covered that – yes, to me, it sounds stilted. "Reside" is a pretty big word for "live."

If you're telling the story but an Australian co-worker used it, then I'm really confused. It's not wrong to say "resides in a remote location." Anything after that is simply style. If you object to it, don't use it.

< Previous | Next >