skydown13

Mandarin
My company resides in California, USA.

My company locates in California, USA.

Which one is better?

• sound shift

English - England
    Hello,

I couldn't use either, I'm afraid. "Resides" makes me think of a person, and intransitive use of "locates" sounds odd to me in this context. Our dictionary gives an example of intransitive use: "They decided to locate in New Mexico" - but that's about an act, whereas your sentence is about a state.

Last edited:

cossack5

Russian
    <<An Oxford dictionary>> has this:
    ■ [no obj. N. Amer, with adverbial of place] establish oneself or one's business in a specified place his marketing strategy has been to locate in small towns
    skydown13, If you want a standart-english variant, reside is way better.

[Note: Sorry to barge into your post, Cossack5, but the colored fonts you had used could be difficult to read on some screens, so I changed them to ordinary bold-face black. :) -- JustKate, English Only moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

suzi br

English / England
    <<An Oxford dictionary>> has this:

skydown13, If you want a standart-english variant, reside is way better.
    Pardon? You are contradicting the opinions of three native speakers and I wonder why? Reside is most often used for people and is not a good standard option for a business location.
    I can assure you that a business can be located in a town!

Last edited by a moderator:

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I agree with Suzi - resides is...well, it's not impossible to say this about a business, but it's pretty odd. Is located is much better. Another alternative that I don't think has been mentioned so far is headquartered: "My company is headquartered in California."

cossack5

Russian
    Pardon? You are contradicting the opinions of three native speakers and I wonder why? Reside is most often used for people and is not a good standard option for a business location.
    I can assure you that a business can be located in a town!
    If you can see from my post (I've cited the last meaning where '[no obj]' means the verb doesn't take (is allowed not to take) an object, though it's a clear Americanism), so I don't have anything against 'locate a business somewhere', I just oppose 'bussiness locates / have located somewhere'.
    I hope I'm understood.:)

suzi br

English / England
    Dear Cossack5,
    No, I don't really understand your point, but that doesn't really matter. In general I would say that finding a definition that says one meaning or usage does not, actually, rule out other meanings or uses.

However, that is not very relevant. The point that I was disagreeing with was you assertion that is it standard to use resides. Which is an error on your part.

Loob

English UK
    I've got a bit lost in this thread:(

I'm sorry if I'm repeating what people have said before, but I wouldn't use either of skydown's original options:
    My company resides in California, USA.:cross:
    My company locates in California, USA.:cross:

I would use:
    My company is located in California.
    or:
    My company is based in California.

Apologies if this is superfluous:eek:.

skydown13

Mandarin
    Sorry to cause such a fierce discussion. My company is located/based in California, USA is exactly what I meant.

< Previous | Next >