residents = {inhabitant, local (neighbor)}?

< Previous | Next >

bonbon2023

Korean(south)
If resident is not used as a meaning of definition 1(apartment resident or local residents, some area's residents), as a country or a town contains a meaning of larger space than a place, is it okay to residents can be a inhabitants or locals(neighbors)?
Definition 1, 2, A far below are from the Collins Cobuild Dictionary.

And I found a definition that locals mean people living in a certain area in the Korean-English Oxford Dictionary, I deduced that the word 'locals' and 'residents' can be used as the same thing from the definition. i couldn't find the definition of locals in the Collins Cobuild Dictionary though. Maybe 'locals' is the word used in BE(UK English) as a meaning of 'neighbor' in AE(US English).

To list the words in order of signifying large area, I think they can be ordered as residents, inhabitants, locals(neighbors)
Am I understanding these words correctly?

[NOUN][usu pl, with supp] 1.The residents of a house or area are the people who live there.
e.g The Archbishop called upon the government to build more low cost homes for local residents

[ADJ][v-link ADJ, usu ADJ in n] 2.Someone who is resident in a country or a town lives there.
e.g He moved to Belgium in 1990 to live with his son, who had been resident in Brussels since 1967.

[NOUN] A.The inhabitants of a place are the people who live there.
e.g the inhabitants of Glasgow.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    In my view, residents pertain to a building or set of buildings (like an estate, or gated environment); inhabitants pertain to a place (a country, or a city or town); locals live in a neighbourhood - they are near (local to) a defined point; and neighbours live next-door (or upstairs, or downstairs).

bonbon2023

Korean(south)
    In my view, residents pertain to a building or set of buildings (like an estate, or gated environment); inhabitants pertain to a place (a country, or a city or town); locals live in a neighbourhood - they are near (local to) a defined point; and neighbours live next-door (or upstairs, or downstairs).
    Thank you, Beryl.
    I found this definition of resident in the Oxford Dictionary: "a person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis"
    Hence, should I understand somewhere is indicating to a building or built-up area in the definition of resident in the Oxford Dictionary?

Ah! As both 'an estate or gated environment' and 'a country, or a city or town' can have buildings in the space, an idea that residents and inhabitants can be used interchangeably just came to my mind unless a country, or a city or town doesn't have any buildings! :)

Last edited:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I'm not sure. I think that there's something in 'resident' that implies a building (or many buildings). You could say for example residents of a rural county, but I think there's a built-in assumption that we're thinking about those that live in buildings, house-like structures.
    I'm not sure we refer to people who live in tented villages, caravan sites, hotels, asylums, prisons, longboats or refugee camps as 'residents' [even if they happen to be in that rural county].
    It's just my view.

< Previous | Next >