resp.

BéréniceB

French
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for the meaning of "resp." in this context :

"Guarantee a guidance as a coherent system to accompany the trainee and provide advice in his/her course from school to the workplace resp. any further trainings".

This has been written by a German person, so it might not be correct English.

Thanks in advance

• pyan

English, UK, London
    Hello BéréniceB and welcome :).

In this case it could be considered an abbreviation of "with respect to".

("Resp." is an "English" abbreviation which is not English, so does not appear in dictionaries, but seems to be quite often used by German speakers to mean something like "and / or". )

OLN

French - France, ♀
    On a traduit là beziehungsweise (abrégé par bzw.), qui est suremployé en allemand à l'oral comme à l'écrit, et dont le sens varie en fonction du contexte.
    Voir ici :
    1) respectively (For example: X bzw. Y, "X and Y, respectively".)
    2) that is; i.e.; or; rather; also; also known as; more precisely; more precisely known as

berndf

German (Germany)
    On a traduit là beziehungsweise (abrégé par bzw.), qui est suremployé en allemand à l'oral comme à l'écrit, et dont le sens varie en fonction du contexte.
    Voir ici :
    Yes, it is a typical mistake German speakers make in English to use respectively as a conjunction and not as an adverb. Instead of bzw. you can also use respektive as a conjunction in German; this explains the mistake.

For more detail, see also this and this thread in the German forum.

Last edited:

OLN

French - France, ♀
    "provide advice in their course from school to the workplace resp. any further trainings".

This is one of those sentences where respectivement would sound like an odd addition. :)
    Wouldn't you say voire or simply ou in French? (or: ou le cas échéant, if necessary).

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    from school to the workplace resp.
    As mentioned above, this is a bad German literal translation.

In "normal" English we might say from school to the workplace, as the case might be...

But actually, from school to the workplace might be enough all alone.

OLN

French - France, ♀
    I totally agree, wildan. I was answering to berndf who seems to mention the grammar only, and discussing the translation since we're in the EN-FR vocabulary forum. :)