Respect the dirty bird or fear the kickin' chicken.

< Previous | Next >

Alexdezh

Russian
Hello everyone!
Recently I was watching this TV show called Halt and Catch Fire, and one of the characters (a man from Texas) gave his old friend a bottle of Wild Turkey bourbon and said "Respect the dirty bird or fear the kickin' chicken".
What was that supposed to mean? Is this some some sort of texan proverb or it's just something made up for the show?

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    According to a pinterest post by Tracy Goetz:
    This popular union-made bourbon has many nicknames – “The Dirty Bird,” “The Screamin’ Eagle,” “The Kickin’ Chicken,” to name a few. Made by UFCW members, Wild Turkey is a must have for any bourbon aficionado. Just be sure to pace yourself or you may be in for a rough morning.

I've had more than a few shots of this bourbon whiskey myself, but I've never heard any of these names, and certainly not the entire expression. But considering the post, it's not a made-up line.

If I were guessing what it means, I would say that it's an advisory that you should watch how much Wild Turkey you drink or you'll wake up with a squawking, kicking headache. :) In another online post, it's said that Wild Turkey is not the smoothest bourbon known to man; hence, the possibility of a serious hangover.

Last edited:

Alexdezh

Russian
    Wow, thank you so much!
    Never would have thought that a bottle of bourbon can have so many names. :)

< Previous | Next >