Respect

WritingAPuppy

canada mandarin
Hi. "Veneration" and "reverence" and "deference" all mean respect, right? I would just like to know the exact difference between them; more specifically, does one have "more" respect than the others?

Thanks.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Both veneration and reverence are what I would characterize as "hold in the highest form of respect."

Veneration is sometimes used in religious contexts; I think I would consider it to be strongest form of respect.

Elwintee

England English
    Both veneration and reverence are what I would characterize as "hold in the highest form of respect."

Veneration is sometimes used in religious contexts; I think I would consider ti to be strongest form of respect.
    I agree. Deference, however, doesn't necessarily indicate respect. You can defer to someone (make an outward show of behaving in a subordinate manner towards them) without really respecting them.

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Veneration, in its most literal sense, implies religious worship. It can be used more figuratively to indicate an intense admiration.

Reverence implies strong respect. It may or may not be religious, but the word has a certain hierarchical connotation.

Deference is closer to the notion of politeness. Formal respect, especially out of social convention.

Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English
    Hi. "Veneration" and "reverence" and "deference" all mean respect, right? I would just like to know the exact difference between them; more specifically, does one have "more" respect than the others?
    I would use "veneration" with regard to someone/something I adore, or highly admire [Michaelangelo's David, Gandhi, Martin Luther King].

I would use "reverence" with regard to someone/something whose religious position warrants it [the Pope, a religious building, Budhha, etc.].

I would use "deference" with regard to someone who is in authority over me [my boss], or whose age warrants it [my elderly father], as deference also has the meaning of submission or duty.

Those would be my personal preferences. Each one contains the idea of respect, but of a different kind, in my opinion.

< Previous | Next >