...respectively (to) the rest of the clause

passengerman

chinese
Hi dear members;

What does "to" mean here? Why do we have to use it?

"In example 1a, the the prepositions on and for relate the pronouns you and her respectively to the rest of the clause."

Best,

The sentence author mentioned is:

a. I depend on you fitly to provide for her.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The whole thing is pretty meaningless to me - is it English?

But if there is a meaning, it's "In example 1a, the the prepositions <on and for> relate the pronouns <you and her respectively> to the rest of the clause."

The word respectively means taken in that order, one at a time.
    The preposition to is part of the verb relate.

passengerman

chinese
    The whole thing is pretty meaningless to me - is it English?

But if there is a meaning, it's "In example 1a, the the prepositions <on and for> relate the pronouns <you and her respectively> to the rest of the clause."

The word respectively means taken in that order, one at a time.
    The preposition to is part of the verb relate.
    Is it like in that sentence? "I connected the rope to the front of the cart"

JamesM

So, as I understand it, this is the original sentence:

"I depend on you fitly to provide for her."

"On" refers to "you". "For" refers to "her". As Keith said, "respectively" means "in that order". "On" and "for" relate the pronouns "you" and "her" respectively (so, "on" goes with you and "for" goes with her) to the rest of the clause ("I depend...fitly to provide").

JamesM

I imagine it's from an older novel, Parla. "Fitly" means "properly". "I depend on you to properly provide for her" doesn't seem like nonsense to me. The order seems a little odd but not for 18th century English, for example, in my opinion. I suppose it could also mean "I depend on you appropriately to provide for her", which could mean "It is appropriate for me to depend on you to provide for her".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >