respectively

< Previous | Next >

ESC85

Korean
Measured by global imports, world trade is projected to grow for all commodities reviewed in this report, without exception.
By 2016, and compared to the average for 2001-05, trade expansion remains modest for Skim Milk Powder (7%), is situated at 13% to 17% for coarse grains and wheat respectively, but grows by between over 50% for beef, pigmeat and Whole Milk Powder and by close to 70% for vegetable oils.

1. What is the subject of the verb "is situated"?
I guess it is "trade expansion".
So the whole sencence will be like this.
->Trade expansion is situated at 13% to 17% for coarse grains and wheat respectively.)

Am I right?

2. Usually I see many sencence using the adverb "respectively" like this.
-Julie Willison and Mark Thomas, aged 17 and 19 respectively.

When "respectively" come out, there is the conjunction "AND".

I wonder why "to" is used instead of "and" in the upper sentence.

( is situated at 13% to 17% for coarse grains and wheat respectively, )

I thought this meant that coarse grains will be situated at 13%, and wheat will be situated at 17%.

I don't know why "to" is used there. T_T

Could you explain these to me specifically?

• anothersmith

English, U.S.
    1. You're right. The subject of the verb is "trade expansion."

2. You're also right that the use of "respectively" with "13% to 17%" is unusual. I've never seen this use before. I would use the conjunction "and."

out2lnch

English-Canada
    The sentence is odd to me too. Assuming that a range of 13% to 17% is actually what was intended, perhaps the author intended for it to refer to the amount of coarse grains as well as to the amount of wheat, rather than the combined increase. Either way, it is awkward and ambiguous, since the use of 'to' clearly suggests a range to which 'respectively' cannot logically (to me at least) apply.

< Previous | Next >