Respond to good news (for oneself): "That is great news!"?

x3t2h

German - Germany
Hi all,

I have been wondering how to respond to receiving good news for oneself in the appropriate way. While I would simply use something along the lines of "That is great news!" to respond to someone else's good news, I am not sure if that phrase also works as a response to good news for oneself.

Examples:
A: "I just wanted to let you know that I was awarded the scholarship I applied for."
B: "That is great news!"

A: "I am pleased to let you know that you have been awarded the scholarship."

In the second example, the response does not sound right (maybe even a bit arrogant) to me: The phrase seems to suggest that the event in question is something the conveyer of the news should be happy about.

Finally, I know that in the particular example above, I could simply reply with “Thank you.”. However, I am looking for an expression similar to “That is great news!” in the sense that it shows excitement rather than gratitude.

Thank you for your help.

• ewie

English English
    Welcome to the forum :)
    That sounds perfectly okay to me.
    the response does not sound right (maybe even a bit arrogant) to me
    Don't go thinking that we don't 'do' arrogance, x3t2h. You're as likely to hear:

B: "Wow, brilliant, I'm so proud of myself!"

(Some of us older folk find this incredibly annoying.)

fsm*

Maybe this option would help:

B: "That's wonderful. Thank you for letting me know."

It shows gratitude for the message and respect for the thing being awarded but doesn't call attention to the recipient's personal triumph.