Responsable secrétariat pédagogique

< Previous | Next >

Morguse

French France
Hi all,

I am trying to translate the title of one of my co-workers.
In French she is "Responsable du secrétariat pédagogique"
Would one of you, kind linguists, have a clue of how I could express this in English?

Morgane

• liulia

English/French
    It really depends on the context - what sort of institution are we talking about here?

It could be, for example, "Executive Secretary for Education and Training", "Head of Secretariat for Education", "Chief, Secretariat for Education".....

Morguse

French France
    We're talking about a design school, a private institution founded by the Chamber of Commerce, with different curriculums (product design, spatial design, ineraction design).

Do you think I can keep the term "pedagogy"?

liulia

English/French
    Sorry I didn't get back on that sooner - I was hoping someone else would come in and give an opinion!
    I don't really know what the right answer is. I don't like that word in English, I think it's awkward and pedantic - which it is not in French - so I always avoid it if i can, à tort ou à raison.

RuK

English/lives France
    Couldn't agree more about pedagogy. If I'm correct, this person is in charge of the secretarial unit of the school. (Right? How many secretariats are there?) So "Director of School Secretarial Unit"? Really, we need to know what this person does, in what kind of company.

Morguse

French France
    Couldn't agree more about pedagogy. If I'm correct, this person is in charge of the secretarial unit of the school. (Right? How many secretariats are there?) So "Director of School Secretarial Unit"? Really, we need to know what this person does, in what kind of company.
    Thanks for your help, people!
    OK. That's what I thought with the word "pedagogy"... unfortunately it has been used on and on by the previous translator and I need to keep the same terms for the sake of coherence.

This lady I'm referring to is in charge of the secretariat handling all student affairs (grades, transcripts, schedules etc.)
    Hope this helps...

liulia

English/French
    Now that we know what the job is all about, I would say even more emphatically that you have to get rid of "pedagogy" - although you may need to have a word with the person for whom you are doing the translation to explain.
    "Student affairs secretary" is a good suggestion, or "Secretary for student affairs".

Gisèlia

Catalunya | Catalan
    Yes, in a a design school, one wonders what 's the point of "pédagogique" ...
    Just French grandiloquent rethoric ;-)

I liked Executive , which was suggested first, because it adds a nuance of efficacy , and it sounds "plentiful" ... doesn't it ?

Then why not ... Executive Secretary for Student Affairs ?

liulia

English/French
    Well, again it depends on the person's position and tasks - it sounds to me like "Administrative Secretary for Student Affairs" might be more appropriate. That is if you really wanted to add something to the plain "Secretary for Student Affairs" which I think is just right.

To me, for some reason, using "pedagogy" would imply that the person is involved in "the science of education," as in developing the curriculum, for example... but I may be wrong!

Morguse

French France
    Thank you all for your this great example of team work!:D

I think I'm going to make up my mind for:
    "In charge of Student affairs" or "Student affairs executive"

< Previous | Next >