Rest assure vs. worry free vs. be at ease

< Previous | Next >

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
Everytime when I see someone challenge the extremes, for instance, climbing the peaks of Himalayas, I will think how can the family members of those challengers can "rest assure" or "worry free" or "be at ease".

Are they all correct? If so, which one is most appropriate? Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    All of them sound odd to me – "... how can their family members not worry?"

And the answer is ... they can't. They will always worry until the person is down safely, so it's an odd question to begin with.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    All of them sound odd to me – "... how can their family members not worry?"

And the answer is ... they can't. They will always worry until the person is down safely, so it's an odd question to begin with.
    Thank you, Copyright.
    I'm not concerned about the logic. I am concerned about idiom. Which one do you think is correct from idiomatic perspective?

Packard

USA, English
    I agree with the above; you cannot "rest assured".

However "took comfort" can be used in an indirect way:

The family took comfort in the fact that although the mountain was treacherous, that he was as prepared to make the climb as much it was possible; he trained hard, had the best available equipment and he was travelling with experienced Sherpas.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    I agree with the above; you cannot "rest assured".

However "took comfort" can be used in an indirect way:

The family took comfort in the fact that although the mountain was treacherous, that he was as prepared to make the climb as much it was possible; he trained hard, had the best available equipment and he was travelling with experienced Sherpas.
    Thank you, Packard.
    "Take comfort in" works in my context but is different from my original meaning.
    Let me give another example. Two parents argue about one can't let the kid go to school by herself by saying "How can you 'rest assured' or 'worry free' or 'be at ease' when you tell our daughter to go to school by herself and she is only 6 years old." Which one is correct?

Packard

USA, English
    Thank you, Packard.
    "Take comfort in" works in my context but is different from my original meaning.
    Let me give another example. Two parents argue about one can't let the kid go to school by herself by saying "How can you 'rest assured' or 'worry free' or 'be at ease' when you tell our daughter to go to school by herself and she is only 6 years old." Which one is correct?
    I think the word I would use is "relax".

How can you relax knowing that your six year old daughter is going to school by herself?

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    I think the word I would use is "relax".

How can you relax knowing that your six year old daughter is going to school by herself?
    Thank you, Parkard.
    Can I say it in another way "How can you relax to let your six year old daughter goes to school by herself?"? Is it also right?

Packard

USA, English
    Thank you, Parkard.
    Can I say it in another way "How can you relax to let your six year old daughter goes to school by herself?"? Is it also right?
    I would say, "How can you relax knowing that your six year old daughter goes to school by herself?"

< Previous | Next >