restaurant branch

askxkti

korean
Hi, I have a question.

For example, I want to meet my friends at ABC restaurant, and there are three ABC restaurants in San Diego.
Let's say one is in Mission bay, another ABC restaurant is in Clairemont, and the other one is located in La jolla,
and I want to meet my friend at the ABC restaurant which is located in La jolla.
(I made up the example hope to help your understand better, and I hope this would work!)
What is the word that I can indicate each restaurant as its location?
'La jolla Branch' is not the right word in this case I think.. It doesn't sound about right...
I know I can just say 'Let's meet at the ABC restaurant located in La jolla',
but I am looking for 'one word' like the word 'branch'.

Can anybody help me~~?

Thank you!

• pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    'Branch' is fine when referring to individual restaurants in a corporate setting, e.g. discussing performances at the La Jolla branch versus the Clairemont branch (outlet might also work), but I agree that it sounds a little odd in casual conversation.

In practice, I think most people would just omit the word and say
    "Let's meet at (the) ABC in La Jolla"

askxkti

korean
    Thank you so much!
    and... I'm still looking for 'the word' :(
    Actually, I got this question from my friend and I already gave him the answer..
    My answer was the same as yours :Let's meet at ABC in La Jolla
    but, he still wants to know 'the word'...
    and I saw 'the word' somewhere in a book... but I can't remember it...
    I hope 'the word' suddenly comes to mind...
    This is like I never can get the exact ACTUAL itchy spot!!!

Thank you so much, though!
    Your explanation is very clear and easy to understand, and I like your sentences.
    Thank you, again!

Packard

USA, English
    I would use "location".

Let's meet at Hooters.

Which one?

The route 24 location, in East Meadow.

But "the one" works too:

The one on route 24 in East Meadow.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Pickarooney suggest franchise, and this is a good suggestion, but "franchise" has a specific legal meaning that may or may not apply to different branches of a restaurant, so you have to be careful with it.
    Packard suggests location, which also works. I was going to suggest the same thing.
    Some restaurants, especially fast-food chains, will refer to a particular restaurant as a store but that is industry jargon and I would not recommend it.

Packard

USA, English
    Pickarooney suggest franchise, and this is a good suggestion, but "franchise" has a specific legal meaning that may or may not apply to different branches of a restaurant, so you have to be careful with it.
    Packard suggests location, which also works. I was going to suggest the same thing.
    Some restaurants, especially fast-food chains, will refer to a particular restaurant as a store but that is industry jargon and I would not recommend it.
    "Franchise" is a problem in many cases. All Starbucks stores for example are company owned. McDonald's stores start out as franchises, but revert slowly to corporate ownership. So a large percentage of McDonald's are company owned.

So I would find "franchise" an unacceptable option unless you know the specifics about the stores.

I never hear "branch" in reference to restaurants. I hear "branch" in reference to banks mostly.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    "Franchise" is a problem in many cases. All Starbucks stores for example are company owned. McDonald's stores start out as franchises, but revert slowly to corporate ownership. So a large percentage of McDonald's are company owned.

So I would find "franchise" an unacceptable option unless you know the specifics about the stores.

I never hear "branch" in reference to restaurants. I hear "branch" in reference to banks mostly.
    Come to think of it, I agree.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You don't need a word like branch: "Let's meet at the ABC restaurant in La Jolla."
    If you want it shorter, omit "restaurant" (as suggested in #2 -- assuming ABC is well-known enough that this is clear enough), or change the word order: "Let's meet at the La Jolla ABC."
    If ABC has already been mentioned and you don't want to repeat it, use the pronoun "one": "Let's meet at the one in LJ" or "..at the LJ one."

< Previous | Next >