Resurrection / Afterlife = What's their difference?

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Hello teachers,

WR Dictionary says:

resurrection /ˌrɛzəˈrɛkʃən/ n
  • a supposed act or instance of a dead person coming back to life
  • belief in the possibility of this as part of a religious or mystical system
  • the condition of those who have risen from the dead: we shall all live in the resurrection
  • the revival of something: a resurrection of an old story

afterlife /ˈɑːftəˌlaɪf/ n
  • life after death or at a later time in a person's lifetime

Then what's the differnce between Afterlife and Resurrection? Aren't they same?
In my opinion, Afterlife refers to the place where we come back to live but Resurrection is the time
when we come back to live. Am I right? If not, then what do you think of them?

Thanks in advance.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I tend to think of afterlife not so much as the place where you spend your new life, but as the new life itself.
    Resurrection is not the time at which this happens, but it is the happening itself, that is, it is the transition from death to the new life.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    I tend to think of afterlife not so much as the place where you spend your new life, but as the new life itself.
    Resurrection is not the time at which this happens, but it is the happening itself, that is, it is the transition from death to the new life.
    So we can paraphrase them in this way:

resurrection = coming to new life
    afterlife = coming to new life is done

Is it ok now?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I think of resurrection as actually coming back to life, while the afterlife is where one goes after dying (Heaven, Hell, the Happy Hunting Grounds, or whatever one believes in).

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    So we can paraphrase them in this way:
    resurrection = coming to new life
    afterlife = coming to new life is done
    Is it ok now?
    Yes, but the 2nd sounds awkward. I'd just say
    afterlife = new life
    RM1(SS) said:
    I think of resurrection as actually coming back to life, while the afterlife is where one goes after dying.
    The exact interpretation is going to depend on theological issues, I fear, but logically speaking, the only thing you can come back to life from is death. Do you go to the afterlife before resurrecting, and is the afterlife then a variety of death which precedes the ultimate afterlife? Beats me. I was just thinking of dying and resurrecting into the afterlife.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Resurrection is being raised to life after death - and we can be talking about it taking place on earth. Se we can talk about the resurrection of Lazarus (see the wikipedia comments here), and most commonly in Christianity the resurrection of Jesus on Easter Sunday. These are on earth, and the reference is not to a raising in another realm. When we talk about the afterlife, we are usually thinking of it in another realm, rather than on earth.

In Christian theology, resurrection could of course also refer to the afterlife (there is the 'first resurrection', the raising of all believers; and the 'second resurrection', the raising of unbelievers).

< Previous | Next >