retino/retinatura

Cavig

English UK
Can any one tell me the English translation of "retino" - technical term referring to an instrument used to calculate data?
Thank you in advance
Cavig

• Cavig

English UK
    Apologies - the word is used in the context of a balooning competition and is material to be given to participants to enable them to locate the given target whilst in the air. I have looked in a number of dictionaries and on the web but cannot find a translation, hence my question to "wordreference".
    If anyone is familiar with this "instrument", I would be very grateful for any informaton. Thank you.
    Cavig

BobbyJo

I too have a question about this instrument. My context is in relation to identifying something on a map - I assume it is the same instrument used for calculating co-ordinates:-

la superficie territoriale, individuata in cartografia con apposito retino, risulta essere pari a ...

Any ideas?

Blackman

Italiano/Sardo
    I work with cartography and I never heard of such an instrument. I might be wrong, of course.
    I believe it refers to the different kind of grids that are drawn on a map, depending on the use of that map.

Paulfromitaly

Italian

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    la superficie territoriale, individuata in cartografia con apposito retino,
    I believe it refers to the different kind of grids that are drawn on a map, depending on the use of that map.
    :thumbsup:

It's not an instrument and it's not what in wikipedia link "halftone" (although "halftone" can be considered a special kind of "retino" specifically used in photography).

Retino= graphic pattern layer used to indicate the different use/ functions/specifications of territorial areas (or of buildings) in maps and plans.
    Here you find various examples http://bellespics.eu/domain/kapitza.com/

Before the "computer era" it was an adhesive film sheet that was manually applied on technical/cartographic/architecture drawings to indicate functions, materials, qualities of the land et al. Now computer programs are provided with graphic patterns libraries.

HTH

mailpaga

Italian - Milanese
    "retino" on mapping tools usually refers to the CAD tool to calculate areas using Hatches / Hatch Patterns

< Previous | Next >