Retirement, unemployment benefit/welfare,...

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member

In some countries after retirement the corporation you worked for pays some money monthly or weekly or...; I guess this one is different to what the British refer as unemployment benefit or what American people refer as welfare. If there is the same thing there, would you mind letting me know how I can refer to it?

  • Egmont

    Senior Member
    English - U.S.
    In the U.S., these are three different things:

    An unemployment benefit (or just "unemployment" for short, as in "I'm collecting unemployment") is given to people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. There is no requirement that you be of a certain age, have worked for the same company for a long time, have less than a certain income level, or anything else like that.

    Welfare is given to people who do not have enough money to live. The definition of "enough" varies from place to place, but it is basically a way for poor people to get food and shelter. I believe this may be referred to as "the dole" in the U.K., but I'll let our British friends comment on that. In the U.S. this is not the same as an unemployment benefit, though some people may qualify for both.

    The money an employer gives you after you retire is called a pension in the U.S. also. Requirements usually include working in the same place for a certain amount of time and reaching a certain age.
    < Previous | Next >