This is from Hornblower, "the even chance" episode. There is a duel on a beach. One of the contestants (Mr. Simpson) cheats by firing on the other contestant (Mr. Hornblower) at the count of two (instead of waiting for "fire"):
- - (Simpson) Is he dead? Did I kill him?
- - (Hornblower) No, you did not!
- - (Judge) Mr. Hornblower, you may return fire at will.
- - (Simpson) Return. I shot him. The duel is over.
- - (Judge) You must stand your ground and take fire, Mr. Simpson!
What exactly is that "Return" on Simpson's second line ???