return ticket (antonyms)

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether return ticket means two ticket cover the trip to the destination and the trip back or only means then trip back. And what is the term for the trip to the destination:

1) "I want to buy a return ticket."

2) "I want to buy a return ticket(antonyms)."

• suzi br

English / England
    You can buy a single ticket for rail travel in the UK.
    You might also ask for a one-way ticket.

A return fare or return ticket covers both directions of travel.

Sun14

Chinese
    You can buy a single ticket for rail travel in the UK.
    You might also ask for a one-way ticket.

A return fare or return ticket covers both directions of travel.
    I was wondering for the flight ticket how to explain it to someone that the ticket(round ticket) includes the ticket for trip to the destination and the ticket for trip back from the destination. Are there two terms for these?

Sun14

Chinese
    You already know the answer.
    I know that but in some certain context, you need to know how to say these two tickets, like:

I ask you the buy a return ticket why you only buy the outward flight ticket?

Btw, do we need to add s after ticket, since the return ticket are two tickets.

pob14

American English
    I see. If I want to tell my friend who is helping me book the ticket that I need a round ticket.
    I'm staying out of the main discussion since it involves a BE phrase, but since you've used the US version twice now: it's "round trip" ticket, not "round" ticket. A round ticket would be printed on a circular piece of cardboard. :D

Andygc

British English
    A. I want to buy a return ticket to London.
    B. OK
    B. Here you are.
    A. Thank you. Hang on, you've only got the outward ticket. Where's the return ticket?

"Return ticket" means both "the journey out ticket and journey back ticket together" and "the journey back ticket". We don't pluralise "return ticket" if it's for one person travelling. We do say "here's your tickets" if the ticket is on two (or more) separate pieces of card or paper.

Sun14

Chinese
    A. I want to buy a return ticket to London.
    B. OK
    B. Here you are.
    A. Thank you. Hang on, you've only got the outward ticket. Where's the return ticket?

"Return ticket" means both "the journey out ticket and journey back ticket together" and "the journey back ticket". We don't pluralise "return ticket" if it's for one person travelling. We do say "here's your tickets" if the ticket is on two (or more) separate pieces of card or paper.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    The British and North American usage of these terms differs. What has been discussed above is mostly BE.

In AE (followed by BE as a comparison):
    One-way ticket - single ticket
    Round-trip ticket - return ticket
    Return ticket - homeward flight.

So choose the correct term according to the nationality of your airline or travel agent!

Sun14

Chinese
    The British and North American usage of these terms differs. What has been discussed above is mostly BE.

In AE (followed by BE as a comparison):
    One-way ticket - single ticket
    Round-trip ticket - return ticket
    Return ticket - homeward flight.

So choose the correct term according to the nationality of your airline or travel agent!
    Thank you very much. Do you mean homeward flight means return ticket:

"You are so careless. You don't buy homeward flight for me!"

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    For a previous thread in the Italian-English forum, let me submit this question:

A: I will join you next week. I check the trains from Rome to London and I will buy my tickets. I do hope they are not expensive. Last week the fare for a return ticket to London was about £ 500,00
    B: Don't worry for that! I will pay your (London to Rome) return ticket ?? .......journey back ticket ??? the return fare ticket ??

Any other correct suggestion on the word ticket concerning just the way back home from London to Rome ?

Thanks for your help

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Hello Fooler,

You are mixing the AE and BE uses of "return ticket" here.

A is referring to a fare of £500 for a Rome-London-Rome journey (BE--"return ticket")
    B is understanding that £500 is the cost of the fare for the London-Rome journey (AE "return ticket"), which in AE means only the second half of the journey.

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    Got you wildan, but the problem I am stuck is: what would be the English name/noun (not AE) if I want to say that I (A) will pay £ 250,00 and my friend (B without missundersting) will pay for the difference ? Would he say : I pay the return fare ticket ? I pay the way back (home London to Rome) fare ticket ?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    B: Don't worry for that! I will pay your (London to Rome) return ticket ?? .......journey back ticket ??? the return fare ticket ??

Any other correct suggestion on the word ticket concerning just the way back home from London to Rome ?
    I'm not sure about Italian train tickets, but on British trains, whereas you used at one time to get a return ticket in two halves, you will nowadays get two separate tickets, one marked for the outward journey and one marked for the return journey.

So, in BE, you would say "I'll pay for the return half" meaning the portion of the journey from London back to Rome.

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    Thank you Donny. We have the same system in Italy too now. As in English return ticket concerns the outward and return,I was wondering as to express the word return without running into the mistake of its original meaning (outward and return).

< Previous | Next >